New Blood!!!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Saku, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Saku

Saku New Member

Hiya,

Jus thought i'd introduce myself, basically looking to get into computing as always had an interest in them, right from when i first picked up my SNES controller and played street fighter! Doesnt matter what you do nowadays, at some stage you will always use a computer whether it be your job, browsing on the net or simply chillin out on a game of PRO (not a fifa boy sorry)

So anyway, im looking to get into networking and after reading a lot of stuff on the net and also had the pleasure of a computeach rep come round my house!!! Im just really looking for some help and advice on where to begin.

My knowledge of IT and computing is about average, as in if theres a problem with my PC, i generally no how to fix it however when it comes to networking im some what of a novice, i mean i roughly no how a network functions and i no there are different types however thats where it ends really

So anyway there were two courses i was looking at and was wondering which one (could even be both) would be best to begin. Whether to start IT essentials or MCDST. Im going to my local college sometime this week but thought i'd ask u guys aswell

Or well thank-you for reading look forward to ur h&a

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

The certs best to do are A+, N+ and MCDST. The A+ covers PC basics and hardware basic, the N+ covers networking and MCDST covers supporting XP and the applications that run on it.

Those 3 certs are the most recommended ones for people trying to get into IT as they require very little experience to do them.

You can ofcourse do those at a college if they offer them (I would recommend staying away from companies like Advent & Computeach) or you could self study them and save yourself a ton of cash.

Welcome to the forums :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Hello and welcome to the forums! :)

GBL has some good advice. If you require more then check the appropriate forum sections. :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  4. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  5. Naive

Naive Byte Poster

Hi & Welcome to CF :D

Look here for A+
    Then here for N+
    And here for MCDST

Also another good link which explains more about self-studying here

Get your CV up and running and start applying for 'entry level' - 'helpdesk' - '1st line support' - 'Desk top Tech/Analyst' etc..
    It is a tough and competitive field to crack, but with perseverance you should be able to start from the bottom and go from there.

Don't be jaded by the £30/40k starting pay upon completing certifications you may have been offered (MCSE etc..) because it's not reallistic, you'd have to start from scratch and work your way up.

Good luck :thumbleft

WIP: MCDST
  6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Welcome to Cert Forums, I started on the MCDST rather than the A+ or N+.

Have a read of the information supplied by Naive and choose which one interests you most and gor for it!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  8. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Another vote for self-study... you don't need to spend ridiculous amounts of money on training courses. :)

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  11. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  12. Saku

Saku New Member

Thanx for the replies and advice

im the kind of person who really learns best in a classroom evironment, however ive had a word with a local college and they have a course which does both the MCDST and also A+ included that includes all the exam fees.

At the mo im working at a place which is more of a end user of IT, so looking to get a job in more of a technical support role therefore giving me hands on experience along with working towards these two (MCDST & A+) qualifications.

13. Naive

Naive Byte Poster

Sounds like a good plan, If you find classroom based study more efficient for your learning then go for it! How much is the MCDST/A+ course by the way?

However, my personal advice would be for you to get accustomed to self studying, as it as been mentioned in other threads, that due to I.D technologies updating all the time, you'll have to self study sooner or later anyway :)

WIP: MCDST
  14. Ambushed

Ambushed Nibble Poster

Enjoy your stay.

Certifications: MCTS, MCP, MCSA
    WIP: MSCD
  15. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Welcome aboard...

From experience,
    I'd suggest self-studying first, and if you really want to spend money on training partners you can do so after the self-study attempt.