Never rains but it pours

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by ManicD, Nov 27, 2007.

1. ManicD

ManicD Byte Poster

2 weeks ago i went for an interview with a nearby school
    last week they got back to me and offered me the job to start Jan

this week i was contacted by a firm whom i had never heard of before who got my cv from somewhere and want me to interveiw thursday with a look to start friday.

i have said yes too all, will interview thurs and then have a look at my options, lol

Certifications: MCSA, N+, A+(Tech), ECDL
    WIP: 70-294, 70-298
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Sounds like a plan.

Don't just go for the one thats more money, go for the one that offers the best chance of progression and best learning curve :)

Good luck

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. ManicD

ManicD Byte Poster

exactly my problem, from the outset, it looks like teh higher payed one has does not provide teh experience i'm looking to build or progression. the lower pay one offeres experience but no progression but they have offered my the job even though they know i'll be gone in a year or two for bigger better things

4. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Though, if the money is a good deal higher, I know which one I'd go for :p

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  5. greenbrucelee

money isnt everything though.

If I was 6 months down the line and I was offered an IT admin job but was told my wages were going to drop from £17300 - 14k I'd take it like a shot.

Beggars can't be choosers.

6. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

GBL obviously doesnt have many financial commitments then, whilst we are all lucky enough to be able to make a career out of our passion for IT, I am under no illiusion of the primary reason for working! it pays for the fun bits outside of it.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  7. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Contrary to that, he's had more than his fair share of financial woes... though I do agree some people are in a better position than others, to put to practise the saying "being in a job because of the love of it".

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  8. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Definately afree there arroryn, theres no doubt that we all do it for the love of the job and of course im not aware of GBL's position but personally what with a house, car, partner, child to look after in the south of england that isnt cheap. The other half works in child care as she loves doing that (but it pays less than 10K a year) so im the main breadwinner. My career is 90% self driven out of love for what I do and the desire to keep learning but I am also progressing so we can enjoy the bits outside work and not have to worry too much about bills etc.

I also have never really found a job that offers true progression which again is true for the job im in now, they always say "oh yes the skies the limit" but by the time you've got your feet under the table you see there is nowhere to go. So providing the higher paid job wasnt too ridiculous I'd choose that every time.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
  9. greenbrucelee

I understand what you mean, I had to move back with my Mum because of my debts but they'll be done by the end of March so I have a saftey net there, although I would not like to drop below what I am on now if it meant me getting my first IT job then so be it.

10. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

It's not the same for everyone, he's interested in 2 different IT jobs. I'd go for the money, you shouldn't ever really drop in wages when moving jobs and it should stand when it comes to moving to a more prefered role.

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  11. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

You will all VERY quickly change your tune regarding pay being the most important part of a new role
    you will reach a point where things plateu (once salary is high enough above outgoings you will just be pouring lots away on making up for a crap job)

Steve Clayton spoke about this on his blog the other day actually, as the difference in expectations between Gen X and Gen Y is significantly changing the enterprise (for the better I might add, being a Gen Y'er)

Career progression is not about staying at a single place any more, its about gaining the most skills and then finding somewhere else that actually can use them, atleast in the EARLY part of anyones career
    this again changes once your a well rounded individual, as you can fill many different hats in a decent company

Heres the link to his post, I'm still at the point where Salary is a bit higher, but its not the top anymore, there are definatly more important things to a good work life balance, and as we work plenty of the time, that environment needs to be spot on

http://blogs.msdn.com/stevecla01/ar...orkers-demanding-web-2-0-tech-on-the-job.aspx

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What he said.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  13. greenbrucelee

I agree

The reason I want to work in IT is because it interests me, IT for me is a career where you constantly have to learn because it is always changing and the IT bod has to be able to adapt to new technology and learn this new technology in order to do his/her job.

This why I want to work in the IT field, although I want to be paid well at some stage the money comes second for me, but if I was offered the same job in two different places and the money was better in one of them and the progression and learning experience was better in the other then I would choose the latter.

I suppose I am at advantage to some of you as I don't have kids (I hope) nor do I plan to have any in the near future, I am not even considering a girlfriend (they cost too much) because I am interested in me and my career (hopefully).

14. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

I didnt say it was the most important thing to consider but on the other hand I wouldnt consider a lower paid job at all. in fact my last job move I didnt really get too much more money the main bonus was not having to work shifts anymore and spending the same amount on petrol a month than I used to a week getting to and from work.

The downer with my new job is they employed me on the top band of the salary about 22K and being local government there is no decent payrise/xmas bonus, zip. So once I've got my MCSA in my sticky mitts Im off.
    Also a large part of me accepting the job was the opportunity to work with linux servers in a novell environment which I thought was an interesting challange and a great chance to learn new stuff.

15. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I have moved to a lower paid job, but each circumstance has to be taken into individual consideration.

I was a forklift truck driver, earning 24K a year with overtime. I had no career prospects, but knew what I wanted to do. I was offered a job at the same company, doing their sales. The money offer was 17.5K. Regular hours, and prospects (muscling my way eventually into IT, which I did with another company).

The only change I had to make, was I had to extend the rate I was paying off my debts by an extra 6 months or so. Still, out of debt in 11 months, and working in IT (and loving it). So, in that case, it was a sensible gamble.

Would I move now for a lower paid job in IT - even for progression? Hell no. I get paid fair for what I do, but I see progression as taking on more responsibility. Why on earth would I want to be paid less for doing more? I'd end up having a breakdown!! I got offered a second line job last month, at 2K a year less than my first line roll. Turned it down flat. (it wasn't just the money... I don't think I have the technical ability to do a second line job just yet. I couldn't see the point in taking a job that was a risk, as opposed to developing my currently prospective-looking role).

Manic, if they're offering you a job even though they know you're going to 'do one' soon, they don't sound like a wise company to be with. Lower pay, no progression - sounds like a 'churn 'em in and spit 'em out' company - I'd steer clear.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  16. ManicD

ManicD Byte Poster

Its county council, they cant afford much, but what they can give me is my first real IT network admin Job and a shed load of experience.

The other job on the higher pay is a private company buts its answering helpdesk calls, offering a lil advice and logging problems for someone else to fix.

overall even if i dont stay with the council job, the experience will be awsome for my CV after i complete my MCSE