Networks for the a+ exam question

Discussion in 'A+' started by alih786, Jun 25, 2008.

1. alih786

alih786 Nibble Poster

what do i have to know about networks for the a+ exam? do i have to memorise every single name of cables, rj6 etc.....

im revivising from the proprofs website for this chapter.

i also did the essentials exam by brother bill. i thought i was going to pass. seeeing as thought i couldnt even get the 1st 5 questions right. i feel i might just fail the a+ exam. the questions were completely different from the types of questions i did for my essentials with Cisco.

Certifications: BTEC First Diploma - Cisco IT Essentials
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Yes you need to know cable type but as I have said many times before you may not get any questions about cables, no two exams are the same.

You need to know IP classes too although I didn't get any questions on classses you might.

I thought you were going to take things slowly, I think you need to put your exam date back as you dont seem to know what you are doing.

BTW proprofs isn't going to help you pass on its own you need books instead of going to the library and reading them.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Ropenfold

Ropenfold Kilobyte Poster

I would recommend Mike Meyers A+ Passport book to revise from, although I would only suggest that if you know the sixth edition of the All-in-One inside out.

As GBL said if you don't think you're ready I would suggest you move your exam date back, The price of comptia exams is a lot, you wanna be 100% sure your ready.

Certifications: BSC (Hons), A+, MCDST, N+, 70-270, 98-364, CLF-C01
    WIP: ISC2 CC, Security+
  4. alih786

alih786 Nibble Poster

yes i am taking things slowly, the test is next tuesday and wednesday - 2 exams in 2days. thats why im revising now. i forget things easily, thats why i have to start concentrating. i havent started revising until now.

5. greenbrucelee

Just to add , you are not studying just to pass an exam you are studying so you can do the job of a technician.

6. alih786

alih786 Nibble Poster

yes i know.

the cisco and the proprofs are the 2 materials im revising from at the moment

cisco consists of all these:

chapter 1- basics
    c2- safety and maintenance
    c3 - installing, reinstalling & upgrading pc's
    c4 - troubleshooting
    c5- operating systems
    c6- laptops & portables
    c7- printers & scanners
    c8- networks
    c9- security
    c10 - communication skills - easiest chapter - i dont even need to spend 5mins of going through this. because its all COMMON SENSE.

c11- advanced pc's
    c12-advanced o/s
    c13- advanced laptops
    c14- advanced printers
    c15 - advanced networks
    c16 - advanced security

7. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Taking things slowly with both exams next week and you've only started revising now?

You really need to buy an A+ book, its no good learning from a Cisco book as much of it wont even be relevant, you may be learning, yes, but not learning what you need for the A+ exams. Seriously mate, think about it.

We're only here to help, take the advice on board cause your risking failing 2 exams which are not cheap to take.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  8. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

Does the passports book make a good revision guide then? I was going to ask this so will save a new thread and hijack a pointless one :lol: I was going to re-read the AIO but then thought might be easier to use the passports book and then refer to the main book for more detailed descriptions if i need them. Also I see the passports book comes with 4 practice tests, i presume this is one of each test, but are they different to the 8 on the AIO disc?

WIP: A+
  9. Ropenfold

Your spot on Markyboyt, The passport book is a good compliment to the all in one guide. Its Smaller and easier to read, I suggest you read through that and keep testing yourself, anything that you fall short on, refer to the AIO guide.

The Proprof cram sheets are useful as well, sign up for them.

I think the tests in the passport book are the same as the ones in the AIO.

10. alih786

alih786 Nibble Poster

i TOTALLY DISAGREE Ropenfold. people CAN PASS WITHOUT THE All In One. The Passport of Mike Myres is much better than the AIO, because it only provides the things that you need to know to become a+ certififed. it doesnt contain any extra unnecessary information, however im not saying the AIO is crap. and i will prove to you and every1 that anyone can pass without the All in one guide including me!.

11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

If you can pass just by studying the A+ Passport book, more power to you, but it wasn't designed for that purpose. As GBL said, this isn't just about passing an exam, it's about preparing for your future career.

Most people have the whole certification thing backwards. Certs are designed to verify the skill sets of people who already have real world work experience in the area being tested. Sadly, most test takers have the idea that you must first pass the exam with virtually no real world experience in order to get a job. To be fair, much of the certification industry and many employers promote this idea, so test takers focus on passing tests when the *real* challenge is how to get *and keep* a job in the IT field.

While here at CF, we tend to promote Meyers' AIO guide as the de facto study guide for the A+ exam, there is more than one correct study path. Many moons ago, I used the AIO as my study guide, but I also looked information up on the web and I completely hammered away at my lab PCs, taking them apart and putting them back together again. When I was actually taking the exams, I found that I answered questions more by remembering what I had done than remembering what I had read.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you know... then why have you asked multiple times about how much do you need to know to pass the exam? Your question reveals your mindset. People who realize the fact that they're studying for their careers typically don't ask how much they need to know... they study all of it so they can not only pass the exam, but also be good techs.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  13. Markyboyt

Im not sure where in Ropenfold's post you feel he made the claim that people cant pass without the AIO guide, he was merely saying that after reading the AIO the passports book would be a good revision guide then referring to the main book for more in depth explanations.

And no offence but the reason everybody is posting so negatively towards you is entirely down to your own attitude towards your certification as a way to make easy money. As trip pointed out, it wont work.
    Not everything in Mike Meyers book is relevant to the A+ but all of it is relevant to computers and if its not something you need to know for A+ it is for your career further down the line, even his inclusion of his personal experiences, he makes no secret that the book goes a little beyond A+ at some points hence the 'Beyond A+' sections (if you had read that far).

From reading your other recent posts I quite look forward to you proving to everybody that you can pass a test, trouble is thats all it is, a test, to some extent a luck of the draw on whether you get asked enough questions that you do know the answers to, unfortunately that test doesn't prove that you can do a job or that you fully understand the material, only peoples experiences of you will do that once you get into the world of IT employment. You may get lucky and get a back door into a job beyond entry level, but being purely pay driven as opposed to job satisfaction driven and with little or no desire to know the information for the sake of knowing it, i dont predict you'll get far.

14. Ropenfold

That wasn't my point although I respect your opinion, I'm sure you can pass without the All-in-one guide however I was merely stating that the A+ Passport book is a good guide while revising. There's more depth in the larger book, such as historical information and info that probably wouldn't come up in the exam, but as Tripwire said, its not just about passing an exam with the least amount of work possible. You have to enjoy the subject matter and be interested in it, the goal is to have a career in this field. Personally the AIO guide for all its size, reading it, I was like a kid in a sweet shop. I'm not saying your not passionate about what you do, far from it, but by denying yourself a recognised and recommended study aid merely to prove a point is an unnecessary risk.

15. greenbrucelee

Well said both :)

16. Markyboyt

Not just me then, I know its really sad and geeky but I actually enjoyed typing in commands like create directory and stuff in the command prompt and having a window open watching the folders and files disappear and move about etc. :oops:

17. greenbrucelee

me too, even though I had done it before years ago getting back into that sort of thing again ruled :D

18. Ropenfold

Its sounds embarrassing but I go back even further GBL, I remember typing commands in on my BBC micro in BASIC!! showing my age.... :oops:

19. greenbrucelee

I had one of those, although I didn't do programming till I got my spectrum :)

20. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

I started with basic on a spectrum aswell, i had a ZX81... they were kewl :oops:

Andi

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots