Networking Hardware for the TSE Course

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Steve, Jul 2, 2003.

1. Steve

Steve New Member

Hi all,

Just wondering if any of you who have gotten through your TSE, or part way in the course could recommend hardware for networking two PC's.

I have a PC and I'm thinking of getting a used laptop and going wireless so I could work anywhere in the house on the laptop when the kids/wife are raising hell elsewhere. :) So a budget wireless set-up perhaps?

Thanks,
    Steve

2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

That's a good start, Steve -

You would kinda want the Desktop running Server (even if on a dual-boot) as you will need it at some point. And it's all good practice setting it up, too.

I'm Cat5-cable bound, I'm afraid (fine for the course tho). Trying to get my laptop online too, but hitting a few probs at the minute :?

But really, you won't need Server running until quite a wee bit in to the course.

HTH

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. Luton Bee

Luton Bee Kilobyte Poster

I have a "thing" about wireless. It's insecure, unsafe and slow. I would rather wire my entire house with Cat 5 cable and network points than get wireless, at least until I get further into the course and learn enough to make it secure anyway.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA, MCP, A+, Network+ C&G ICT
    WIP: CCNA
  4. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Have a couple of wireless points in a LAN I support. We use US Robotics gear and all works fine and runs at 11mbps and with a firmware upgrade you can get it running at 22mbps. You can enable encryption to stop eavesdropping. Not fully sure how it works yet as not had the time to look but its in a remote site so nobody can get near to the building anyway.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  5. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Hi Steve

Having gone thru the mill on 2 PC's plus a majic bit of software callled VMWARE www.vmware.com that allows you to load more that one machine on a PC it saved my some cash in that I could run 2 servers and do all the networkinf stugg between them

I to feel that if you go for the wireless route you will miss out on a lot of the networky stuff that you really, really do need! :eek:

6. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

I agree with all of the comments made here, especially the wireless not being secure.

At the end of the day it all depends on your pocket and how much you want to spend, i know a few people that use the sitecom wireless router, it has a built in print server too and costs around the £99 from Maplins. as for the security side of things, i work for the government and we use hacker wacker for our wireless security, never played with it myself but it seems to do the job. It might be cheaper going down the cable route for the moment and then upgrading at a later stage, Linksys do a router that is primarily cable bound but you can add a wireless PCMCIA card to it to give it wireless connectivity, worth a look.

Jakamoko, what problems are you having at the moment

:multi

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

None, now - Nelix,

Got it all sorted out - old laptop, but it's a new toy for me :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity