Networking Career Paths

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by ukspeedster, Jul 24, 2007.

1. ukspeedster

ukspeedster Nibble Poster

Hi All,
    Im looking for some advice on career paths and certifications in networking. I currently have around 2 years of experience in desktop support, which involved some network support.

Ideally I would like to get into network security.

Would someone be able to advise me on the steps, job roles and certifications needed to progress a career in network security?
    Would the CCNA/Network+ be a good starting point?

Thanks 8)

Certifications: BSc(Hons), ITIL, MCP
    WIP: MCSA 2003, CCNA
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

IT would indeed
    I notice your currently doing the MCSA 2003? I advise you finish that too, also very useful if your working in an MS environment

CCNA is a great starting point, but not as easy as many people first thing (my mate, who has a degree in internet computing has stumbled 10 points under a pass twice now)
    the N+ may give you a firmer understanding of the theory to begin with

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I agree with Phoenix. If you are in the middle of studying for the MCSA certs, keep pressing on with them. Trying to study for the CCNA at the same time would be quite a challenge.

If you know little about networking, I'd recommend the N+ before the CCNA. It'll give you a firm grounding in the necessary concepts and practices. Also, It's not like server and networking topologies are mutually exclusive, so your Microsoft studies will help out as well.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I'll agree with the previous posters... continue with your MCSA, and pursue the Network+ before the CCNA (or the soon-to-be-launched CCENT certification, which is a Cisco certification you can pursue before tackling the CCNA).

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. ukspeedster

ukspeedster Nibble Poster

Thanks for all the comments and advice guys.

I've started reading the Sybex Network+ book to get a firm understanding of networking concepts.
    I don't plan on taking the exam, but this will give me a fair amount of networking knowledge before taking on the CCNA etc.

Certifications: BSc(Hons), ITIL, MCP
    WIP: MCSA 2003, CCNA