Networking Books, Which ones and Why?

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Fluid, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

:blink Deploying IPv6 Networks - Cisco (2006)
    Network Security Foundations - Matthew Strebe (2004)
    Network Tutorial - 5th Edition - Steve Steinke (2003)
    TCP-IP Illustrated Volume 1 Protocols - W Richard Stevens (1994)
    TCPIP Network Administration - 3rd Edition - Craig Hunt (2002)
    Understanding TCP-IP - Libor Dostalek - Alena Kabelova (2006)

Would you invest in any of the above networknig books? I'm not sure which ones to get, im looking to invest around £150 in books, but there are soo many out there. I want something that takes me from the basics of networking and gradually builds me up to intermediate/advanced. Can be more then one book what book do you recommend?:blink :blink

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

This depends very much on the sort of networking you want to learn about, and your current knowledge. The list above is somewhat of a mixed bag!

For a real beginner I'd recomend the Mike Meyers Network+ book and the Groth Network+ book.

A brilliant and up-to-date tome on TCP/IP is "The TCP/IP Guide" by Charles M. Kozierok. One of the nice things is that you can read this online here. I bought the book as I thought it was so good.

Previously the Stevens series of books was considered to be the classic. It is still very good for fine detail required by experts. However, sadly, Stevens dies a few years ago. I believe the books are now being brought up-to-date by another author.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

Thanks harry will look at the website tonight! I done a bit of reasearch and i was thinking these books are ment to be good as well:

Understanding TCP-IP - Libor Dostalek - Alena Kabelova (2006)
    Network Security Foundations - Matthew Strebe (2004)

read couple of pages from them ebook, but i think im going to go and purchase them tomorrow or sometime during the weekend!