Networking Assignment

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Twiggy, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Twiggy

Twiggy Bit Poster

Hi all - sorry about this, it seems I only ever find time to come on here lately if I have questions to ask regarding my assignments!

The scenario for my assignment is:

Riverbridge School has decided that they want to network a number of workstations in two classrooms with the intention of creating a LAN and ultimately connecting to the main academic WAN. Classroom 1 is on the ground floor and currently has 20 standalone machines, one of which is connected to a laser printer. Classroom 2 is situated directly above and currently has 9 standalone machines (again one is connected to a laser printer), but could have up to 20. All workstations currently have Windows XP Professional installed.

Task 4 is:

(a) Explain the role of the network interface card and discuss factors that could affect its performance

(b) Recommend a suitable NIC for the Riverbridge School network and describe its installation and configuration. Include a description of how you will control the printer queues and other forms of resource usage and how the relevant parameters and protocols are set.

Part of the pass criteria for this task is:

P4.3 Control printer queues and other forms of resource usage
    P3.4 Identify how the relevant parameters and protocols are set

Having zero networking experience, and very little networking knowledge prior to embarking on this assignment, I was wondering if anybody might be able to steer me in the right direction as to what they mean by 'parameters and protocols'? And also as to how the NIC would control print queues? I thought this kinda stuff was handled by print server software rather than the NIC?

One other query you all might be able to help me with... I have to consider what software will be required for developing the network. So far I've covered the obvious network operating system and antivirus, but I have no idea what other things I should be including in the discussion. Any suggestions for this would also be very gratefully received!

Thanks, H

Certifications: ECDL BCS1, NCFE Networking Essentials
    WIP: HNC in Computing
  2. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Explain the role of the network interface card and discuss factors that could affect its performance

The sole purpose of a NIC is to allow the computer and you access to resources on the Network i.e. file servers printers etc and vice versa. Factors that could affect performance are incorrect software drivers for the NIC, network traffic collisions due to a poorly operating Switch, too many users on the wire, a lower speed switch i.e. 10mbit switch that services 100mbit NICs, bad weather, bad cabling, mice chewing on the structured cabling, twisted pair issues, EMF interference, netbios broadcasts...you name it! Plenty of examples on the net! Bottle necks are usually the culprits so any device that cannot keep up with the NICs...and that is usually WAN links!

Recommend a suitable NIC for the Riverbridge School network and describe its installation and configuration. Include a description of how you will control the printer queues and other forms of resource usage and how the relevant parameters and protocols are set

Suitable nic would be 100baseT i.e. 100mbit (I think) or to future proof stuff a 1 gigabit NIC. You'd control print queues by using a client/server solution i.e. Window Server print queues where you can use NTFS to control who does what! And the same applies to Netware print queues. IP based print queues are a fecking no-no as anyone can flood them and it takes time to track down the culprit! Centralisation to a file server is what you want as that will enable you to control the queue.

P4.3 Control printer queues and other forms of resource usage

That is where the Client/Server model comes in to play!

P3.4 Identify how the relevant parameters and protocols are set

NTFS i.e. ACLs Access Control Lists...same applies to Netware but I think their's is NFS. TCP/IP is the protocol of choice of course...but that is only the transport mechanism.

All piece of p1ss mickey mouse stuff mate! Just have a look on the net and on the MS site with regards to best practices.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
    Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You're taking a class right? Then what in the world is your professor doing if he/she isn't teaching you what you need to know? :blink

The mind boggles.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

what they said.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Twiggy

Twiggy Bit Poster

It's a distance learning course so no actual classes. They feed us a few documents, ppt presentations and the likes, but have given us nothing to cover the depth of detail they're asking us to include in the assignment, and the whole thing has seriously left me thinking twice about a career in IT. I think this is more down to poor teaching standards than the subject itself. We obviously expect to teach ourselves much of what we need to know, but it can be difficult at times when you're not sure what you're meant to be looking up in the first place lol.

A friend of mine happened to join us on the 2nd year of online study and he did his 1st year as a student attending the college itself before they changed it to an online course. He plans to complain to the college once the course has finished because the level of support is VERY different, and we all think it has been substandard. At the moment I work as a Data Administrator, and all they wanted to prove I was up to doing the course was a letter from my boss saying I use office applications (i.e. word, powerpoint etc). How that possibly helps with programming, web design, networking etc I'll never know!

My advice? Never do a distance learning course in IT via Bridgwater College!!

Needless to say I'm very much looking forward to the end of the course which I think is some time in June!

Thanks for the pointers though guys, very much appreciated!

Certifications: ECDL BCS1, NCFE Networking Essentials
    WIP: HNC in Computing
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

It shouldn't make you think twice about a career in IT... it should make you think twice about distance learning that is nothing more than overpriced self-study.

You don't NEED courses to start a career in IT.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!