Network tour clips?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by kai, Jun 29, 2010.

1. kai

kai Bit Poster

Im currently revising for my network+ exam (Cant afford it, so I have alot of time to revise). I have no hands on experience on a small network, so while im learning everything in the network+ and forming a understanding on how things work, its not a true understanding.

I have a few Cisco packet tracer which Im not 100% on how to productively use because of no hands on experience.

Youtube is failing me as well, so I was wondering if anyone knew of a website or clip that would do some kind of tour of a small/medium network. Anything thats not a graphic. It would benefit my learning so much and anyone else taking this exam.

Kai.

2. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

My advice would be to volunteer or try to get yourself a job working in a smallish company as someone who assists with the network.

Certifications are meant to validate commercial experience, and as you rightly say without hands on, its not going to click.
    The Network+ is slightly different as its basically the beginners cert but before i did mine id worked in IT for several years

If you are unemployed or on low income it may be worth seeing if there are any IT training schemes or college courses, as classroom time would be handy to actually get some of the kit in front of you.

Good luck

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
    Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  3. kai

kai Bit Poster

I plan on taking the MCTS for windows 7 in september (if you have any other recommendations for entry level IT jobs please say! I can only afford one course and want to get the right one).

Their are alot of business parks around where I live. Unless they all have only remote network support, im sure I could find somewhere that will take me on once a week for free. I was planning on asking the local IT repair shop, but ultimately I want to run and admin medium networks so maybe I should aim a bit higher.

Thanks for the advice though. I work full time and try hard not to give up my spare time, but thats not going to help me get the job I want.

Kai.

4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Again the MCTS is more aimed at those with commercial experience, I would go for the A+ or N+ as a starting point, perhaps also looking at the MCDST after that.

Experience is experience, getting it in a shop is as good a place as anywhere so don't knock getting experience in a shop. As you work full time however I think you will find it hard getting work in a company and would probably find it easier getting work in a commercial environment better (read shop). I have to add that running and administering networks won't happen over night and the more you can learn the better off you will be.

I think at some point however you may well have to bite the bullet and look for another job but obviously only do that when you feel comfortable in an IT environment, just remember however that having a cert doesn't mean you can do the job because there is a BIG difference between doing something the MS\Comptia way and doing it the real way.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

This.

Having worked in a mid-size environment the entire time I've been in IT, I can safely say the more cert material I read the more I'm moved to say 'what the f***!' every time I look at our environment.... If the environment you find yourself in has grown in the bizarre organic fashion that this place has your gonna find yourself in 'here be dragons' territory pretty quick.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  6. kai

kai Bit Poster

Kinda like a driving exam? :biggrin

I am expecting to work from the bottom. I would work so hard for an employer it would be scary, and I would never stop learning, not just for my own career, but because its fascinating.

Thanks again for the advice. Sooner or later ill land a IT job and some kudos for this forum and its members will be in order.

Kai.

7. Richy19

Richy19 Bit Poster

hi if your mean vids on how people have there networks set up heres a few.
    there al just home networks however some are pretty big for home networks

WIP: BTEC ND IT, CCENT, A+, N+