Wanted Network switch and router

Discussion in 'Sales and Swaps' started by paulwatson5, Jan 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulwatson5

paulwatson5 Byte Poster

Hello guys, im in need of a few things and on a bit of a budget so im wondering if anyone has any of the following.

10/100 switch (for a test lab, 8 port or more)

Gigabit switch (for my home setup, 8 port one would be ideal but 5 will do)

Firewall (doing my Network + studies and would like to know more about firewalls and would like it setup on my lab)

ADSL2+ wireless N router (im going to attempt to replace my rubbish sky supplied sagem router)

As cheap as possible please and also any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Certifications: CompTIA A+ (220-701 & 220-702)
    WIP: CompTIA Network +
  2. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Hi Paul,
    It really depends what you need the kit for, although its best to know your way around the kit it is not a requirement to have any kit for the Network+.

What do you require the Switch for? You can get a cheap Netgear box, but if you want to extend you knowledge of enterprise infrastructure (at a later stage) you may be better suited to look at a HP/Cisco alternative

I attempted to change my Sky router about a year ago and Sky refused to give me the network settings, i did read a few posts about people that had successfully changed theirs, although it seemed a long process so i didnt bother, has anything changed??

I dont think you really require a firewall at this stage, you can use a client firewall and your ISP NAT's you to a public IP so there is further security implemented there also!

Where are you located? I may have some of this kit!

Does this help?

3. paulwatson5

paulwatson5 Byte Poster

Hi mate, thanks for replying to this.

It really depends what you need the kit for, although its best to know your way around the kit it is not a requirement to have any kit for the Network+.

Well i just want to setup a home network so i can self learn like have a file server, dns server, firewall etc. I'm doing the Network + and i want to dig a bit more into networking as i learn.

What do you require the Switch for? You can get a cheap Netgear box, but if you want to extend you knowledge of enterprise infrastructure (at a later stage) you may be better suited to look at a HP/Cisco alternative

As above, just a switch for sharing connections really and im sure a cheap Netgear box will do until further notice

I attempted to change my Sky router about a year ago and Sky refused to give me the network settings, i did read a few posts about people that had successfully changed theirs, although it seemed a long process so i didnt bother, has anything changed??

Yeah i just wanted to have a go, all depends on how cheap i can get one for as it may not be worth be bothering, just wanted to put the idea out there really.

I dont think you really require a firewall at this stage, you can use a client firewall and your ISP NAT's you to a public IP so there is further security implemented there also!

Yeah i was thinking about setting up an old p4 mahcine with ipcop or something on but then if i was setting up a home lab i thought i may as well ask if anyone has a firewall so stick in there to tinker with. I think im going to either go for a Netgear one (saw one on ebay for £18) or maybe a Netscreen one which was recommended by a friend who works in IT as those are the ones he most commonly deals with.

I'm in Newcastle, have you got any of the above kit??

Where are you located? I may have some of this kit!

4. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Well like i said before its great to get your hands on some kit, if you want to setup a home network with servers ideally you need a small ESXi server, i have a ML110 with 6GB RAM which would be ideal and you can have it for £100 (sorry cant really drop any lower than that, as its a great bit of kit).

Cisco 1720 router - Prob not what you need to replace the Netgear but great for playing around on and finding your way around the Cisco IOS. Yours for £10 each (i have 3), multiple routers are great for testing protocols.
    Cisco 2900XL- 10/100, 12-port switch, great for your environment and to get your hands on Cisco also, £20 if you want it!

The only problem is that i live in Surrey although i am working in Newcastle (NE1 4LP) on 16th-18th Jan.

Let me know if your interested, if not they will all stay in my home lab :D

Asterix

5. paulwatson5

paulwatson5 Byte Poster

Cheers