Network software/tools

Discussion in 'Networks' started by zxspectrum, May 11, 2015.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Hi everyone

Just after a bit of advice in regards to what free software/tools you use to trace your network connections.

Before I carry on I will have to give you the why etc.

We have set up our macs with the find my mac software after we had 2 recent break ins. Our macs are set up with 2 types of addresses, on section is on a 10 address and one side is on an 11 address. Now when we set up the account on the 10 address, everything sets up nicely and there are no issues, we can log in to that account and see where the machine is located etc.

When it comes to trying to locate them on the 11 address, we cant and we don't know why, possibly there is a block along the 11 set up somewhere. Our fix at the moment for this is too use the connection from a 10 address slot and authorise it that way, which basically makes the job a lot more time consuming.

So hence why I would like something where I could see where we are getting blocked/restricted so that in the summer when we will reimage all the macs etc, we can just set up once and forget.

Any help is always appreciated.

Thanks

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

When you say one side is 'on 11' do you mean with an IP address of 11.x.x.x?

That' may be your problem if so, the 11 /8 address block is not a private address range and is assigned to US DoD ;)

Run a tracert to the IP and see what it looks like?

3. Waqas Ahmed

Waqas Ahmed Nibble Poster

PTRG isn't too bad! Though that's more network performance I guess

Not free, but for enterprises,they often use say..."Entuity" or "CA Spectrum/CA eHealth"

:)

Solarwinds should have some free products to trace things, no?

Certifications: CCNA R&S
    WIP: CCNA ???
  4. zxspectrum

Yeah Monkeychops, one side is on an 11 .x.x.x address. Whats US DoD???

Cheers for the feedback, ill have a bash at this tomorrow

Ed

5. Waqas Ahmed

Waqas Ahmed Nibble Poster

US Department of Defence, I assume :)

Certifications: CCNA R&S
    WIP: CCNA ???
  6. zxspectrum

Well i got that when i googled it. But we have had this 11 address setup for a while. We are a college if that makes any difference??

Ed

7. Monkeychops

Without knowing your setup and use case in play couldn't say for certain, but using an IP range that's a public IP range could cause issues if you have to do anything with those IPs outside of your private network. Don't know how the tracking software you're using works to know if that's an issue or not.

Bit of info here after a quick google if anything needs explaining, but read up on public and private ranges https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc958825.aspx

So in the example above, if we lookup the 11.x range we see it's assigned to part of the U.S. department of defence http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_assigned_/8_IPv4_address_blocks

8. zxspectrum

Everything will connect to the net through a proxy server, we dont show our address ranges outside etc.

Ed

9. Monkeychops

Would need to know more about the setup and how it all works before trying to work out what the problem is then if that's not the issue :)

Have you run a basic tracert to see what the route to the IP you're looking at from where ever you're trying this from looks like?

10. zxspectrum

On 10 address side yes, but i haven't via the 11 address side.

Ill get that done today.

Cheers for your help

Ed

11. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Are you running them as class A addresses or something else?

How many machines do you have in the 11.x.x.x range?

I wonder if you have any firewall rules in place that are dropping packets, definitely want to think about doing a tracert across the network to find out where packets are getting dropped.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA