Network simulation.

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by stuPeas, Oct 1, 2007.

1. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

O.K here goes. I'm considering the Idea of Virtual Machine software, even though I know absolutely nothing about it. I want to set up a network with a WIN 2000 server and a couple of client machines so that I can learn about NTFS and share permissions (among other things). Ive read a few posts here and now I'm totally confused. I thought there was just one or two products,but now I see VMServer and VMWorkstations products.

Like I said, I don't have a clue what I'm doing and don't seem to be able to find any advice aimed at idiots.

I have NO money to spend so the software would need to be free: both the VMsoftware and Win2000.

Can anyone put me on the right track please.

GBL, if you see this, In one of your posts you say you have used VM stuff, can you Help???

:D

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  2. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

You should be able to download Virtual PC from MS site and VMware s/w free of charge. Hold I will dig out the linkies for it, but it could take 10 minutes to find them:(

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Unfortunately, you can't set up the virtual network you want and play with NTFS without spending *some* money. The only absolutely free virtualization software I know of is an open source project called Xen:

http://www.xensource.com/Pages/default.aspx

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xen

The two most recent Xen articles I'm aware of are these:

http://www.linux-tutorial.info/modu...e=article&sid=5307&mode=flat&order=0&thold=-1

http://www.linux-tutorial.info/modu...e=article&sid=5274&mode=flat&order=0&thold=-1

I've never used Xen so I can't speak to how easy or difficult it is to set up and use. I use VMware Workstation 5.5 which is adequate for my needs but it's not particularly cheap. Also, any operating system software you want to install as a virtual machine has the same licensing agreements and limitations as an operating system you installed on a hardware machine. That means if you want to install Windows Server 2000 as a virtual machine, you still have to purchase the OS software.

When I originally purchased VMware, it came with a manual and that was enough to help me install it and learn how to install virtual machines. Like any new thing, it takes a bit of learning but it really wasn't tremendously difficult. If I can do it, so can you.

The trick is to use a host machine that has enough RAM and a speedy enough CPU since your virtual machines will be sharing resources with the host. When not in use, I typically suspend my VMs unless I have some need to have them continue running (for instance, right now I have Office SharePoint Server 2007 running on a virtual Windows Server 2003 machine. I'm working with content crawling so am letting the VM run so it can execute its full and incremental crawl schedules).

Not much more I can say at this point. I hope some of this has proved helpful.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  5. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270, MCSA
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Oh, duh. My bad. :oops:

I don't flame people when they catch me in a mistake, Monkey. :wink:

I also agree that Phoenix is "da man" when it comes to virtualization software. :D

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

VMWare server edition is free. As to Win2K, well, you're up a tree there unless you can run across some trial versions of Win2K. NTFS is basically the same in XP too, so you could learn file permissions from trial versions of it too. I have no idea as to whether or not MS would have a hissy fit about using them in VMWare installs though. I wouldn't see why they would, but with MS you never know.

This is one reason I love Linux. The poor man's ability to study, learn, and compete isn't hindered at all by his lack of financial resources. It's a great equalizer that allows the poor man to compete in the world of capitalism at a level he would be completely excluded from otherwise.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I was running virtual pc for a while with XP pro and win2000 I tried to get a hold of OS x but couldn't get it.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  10. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

Whats the difference between workstation and server?? Which one should I use.

Cheers everyone. I will read Phoenix's advice to GBL in a moment :D

11. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Ffreeloader, I must admit you're committed to advertising your heart out when it comes to Linux:biggrin in any form or way:biggrin

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  12. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

VMWare Workstation is a purchasable product, it costs money, but has some unique features not found in its free cousins

that said

VMWare Server or MS Virtual PC will both do the job you require
    I can recommend VMWare Server, I use it myself (along with VMWare Workstation, and VMWare ESX Server)

13. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

cheers guys:D

14. greenbrucelee

The only problem I had with virtual pc is that you have to buy the OSs you want and you also need XP pro to run it, it doesn't work on XP home.

15. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

Bollocks!! I wish I new that before I spent ages downloading a trial of win2003. Ive got XP home. Is this the same with all the products?

16. greenbrucelee

Not sure to be honest, but I know Vitrtual pc is for XP pro only, I upgraded from home to pro just so I could use Vitrtual PC.

Not sure about VMware.

17. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

As far as I'm aware from these series of podcasts:

www.itidiots.com

You can use evaluation software on the vmware platform.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  18. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

I don't recall not being able to use trial versions of an OS on Virtual PC either
    I cant imagine that's the case, its one of the products main selling points (trials and sandboxes)

19. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

No, No guys. I think what GBL is saying is that VM software wil not RUN on xp home, not that XP home cannot be run as a VM.

20. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I don't see why VMWare server wouldn't run on xp home, but I can see where MS might prohibit Virtual PC from running on xp home and force you to go with xp pro.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1