Network problems

Discussion in 'Networks' started by zxspectrum, Nov 20, 2017.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Hey

So I am having trouble getting from A to B. The set up that I have at the moment requires me to get from a 192 address to a 10 address. The 10.x.x.x address scheme is being used because that will be our cloud set up and we really dont want it on the main network and the only thing we want people to do is analytical computations.

We also using this which is mirantis openstack. I am trying to set this up on a PC which will act as the controller, I will then add nodes in the form of powerful servers which will do all the number crunching etc. I have got to the controller set up but getting things to talk to each other is proving tricky.

In that link you will see that the blokes set up has 2 NIC cards, eth0 has the following an IP address set up of 10.20.0.2, 255.255.255 and DFG of 10.20.0.1, the Nic is enabled and the config via DHCP is static.

The next part uses eth01, the second NIC card, which is where the pxe boot will reside and it will discover nodes etc, the address that is the default for that is 10.30.0.2, 255.255.255.0 and there is no default gateway, the dhcp pool starts at 10.30.0.3, ends on 10.30.0.254 and the dhcp gateway is 10.30.0.2.

So as I reside on a 192.x x x address, can I add another nic card to my PC to connect to the 10.x.x.x. address via a layer 3 switch or would I need to go via a router. Also we do have the wiring infrastucture to facilitate this, and I could easily swap a port on the wall to connect everything together, there is something that I am missing, knowing me its possibly something stupid.

Before I go to sleep, i will be reading up and hopefully by a miracle I will dream the resolution.

Any hints/advice is always welcome

Zx

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. nisseki

nisseki Byte Poster

[Delete post]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Did you get this setup mate? If it’s just for testing then you can add a second NIC and patch into an unmanaged switch which has the 10.x.x.x resources in it. Your NIC doesn’t have a default gateway as I assume this subnet doesn’t need to route any further.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. zxspectrum

Hey Sparky

I have it set up in a way. What I did was to set it up on a 10 address and then connect a laptop to the web page, i set an IP in that range on the the laptop then got the web page up, I even logged in as well. What you suggest is more or less what I was doing in my office. I have had to come off it again as we have had issues in the labs etc, which our boss doesn't seem to grasp, but I am hopeful to get back onto it soon. The work around I have now will do as its something to show the boss.

I know with this scheme adding a node will be a pain as it seems to require a net connection and I need to either get a gui installed on cent os or create local repositories, something along the lines of that.

Any advice is always welcome though

Cheers

Ed

5. Sparky

What is your 192.x.x.x gateway device? If it has available interfaces you may be able to create a 10.x.x.x gateway as well and route between the subnets that way.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  6. zxspectrum

Thats the bit where I am struggling to be fair.

I dont know how to get the 192.x.x.x. to talk to the 10.0.0.0., i also need ot be careful how I go about this as the 10. server acts as a DHCP so other pcs would pick up 10 addresse. I am hopefully getting back onto that tomorrow, I will let you know what I come up with

7. Nyx

Nyx Byte Poster

If I read your post correctly then yeah that should work - PC having two nics on different subnets should be able to talk to both networks, but it would not route between them. Use route print command to see it's routing table - with DHCP on both networks each nic should get an address ok. In theory you would need a router to have two different networks talking to each other but by modifying the route table on a normal PC it could act as a router but other devices on the network would need to know this is the destination to reach the other subnet - again you can insert entries to routing tables on any windows box. One place I worked had a bloody windows XP with four nics acting as the main router.

Depends if you really need both networks to talk to each other or are you ok with having a PC on both networks and do whatever is needed through it? As Sparky says if you get the network set up on the gateway (usually a router or switch able to route stuff) you could do that properly, but depending on your setup you might need configure switches to handle traffic for both networks.

hope that makes sense, not really working with networking so I might be wrong somewhat!

8. zxspectrum

In regards to handling the traffic in the switch on both networks, do you mean setting up a VLAN on the switch?

I think the router would be the best way to go to be honest, so I would need to get my head around setting that up.

9. Sparky

It can be done with a VLAN but this really depends on your network setup. Regardless you still need to route between subnets so your gateway device may be able to do this or a layer 3 switch.

10. zxspectrum

So, if i am thinking about this correctly
    10.x.x.x. can talk to 192.x.x.x as long as the default gateways are the same? or is that too easy. Or is this where the router needs to come into play

Just done a quick check and the switches are layer 3

11. Sparky

How many subnets are on the local network just now? Will give you an idea if the switches are are indeed routing between subnets.