Network Problem

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Ellie Jane, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Ellie Jane

Ellie Jane Bit Poster

I'm having a bit of a Network problem and it's something I haven't encountered before, I'm sure someone here will no the answer.

My kids came screaming through earlier because they're internet connection went pear shaped, no changes had been made to the network and everything seemed fine, so as a first step I decided to try repairing the network connection to see if that did the trick and got the message: The following steps of the repair operation failed - Purging the DNS Resolver cache.

The basics of networking isn't a problem for me, but as I haven't encountered this before I don't know how to resolve it. Can anyone help?

Ellie Jane

SEN MOD EDIT: Moved to Networking Forum

2. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

First step is to check all connections are ok.ie/ modem is plugged intot he phone line ok, and into the computer.

Once you've checked that, then it's time to take the advice of the guys here, they'll be along shortly I'm sure.

3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

OK, Ellie Jane, we need more info...

Broadband or dial-up ?

If broadband, do you have a steady ADSL light on the modem ? If yes , re-install modem. If not, firstly suspect hardware (inc microfilter) then contact your ISP and ask for a woosh test on your line. Try running with NO other phone equipment on the line.

Dial-up - delete and recreate the dial-up network connection on the PC with the modem.

In either, run an up to date version of Adaware - in case you have a browser redirect on your PC that's upsetting DNS.

If you can establish a connection to the Internet, try pinging www.google.com. If successful by name, it will also return Googles IP addy - drop just the IP addy into Internet Exploder and see if that reaches the site - if so, then deff a DNS issue.

Error messages - do you receive any, however insignificant ?

What we need at this stage is cold hard information. Then we can help further.

Oh, and if you come back and say your on a Mac OSX using a wireless router, then I'm outta here !!!! :eek:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

"Pear shaped"???

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. Ellie Jane

Ellie Jane Bit Poster

To put it another way F.U.B.A.R (Fouled Up Beyond All Recognition), generally not working :(

But it seems to be working again now, after deciding to run the network setup wizard, yet again, simply because I couldn't think of anything else to do, and it certainly beat throwing the damn thing through the window, I tried explorer and bingo, internet access.

I have no idea what caused the problem or what eventually caused it to go away again, I'd run the network setup wizard dozens of times with no joy, but at least it's working again so I'll leave it at that.

Thanks for the responces
    Ellie Jane

6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Glad it all worked out. I hate intermittent problems that create and fix themselves. You never know when they'll reoccur.

Funny thing about the network setup wizard. Once I set up an internet connection manually on a computer. All of the settings were completely correct. I copied them from a computer with the same settings. Of course, the silly thing refused to dial up the connection. I blew away the connection and used the wizard, carefully inputing the exact same parameters. Lo and behold the thing worked. Go figure.

Certifications: A+ and Network+