Network Printer

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Fergal1982, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

hey guys, i have a home workgroup, with 3 pc's, 2 using xp home, and a third with 2000 pro. attached to the 2000 pro machine is a printer that we want to set up for use from the network. currently, the way its working is that we have to login using

[code:1:7f36a367fc]\\computer-name\C$[/code:1:7f36a367fc]

then use the printer, but id like to set it up so we didnt have to do that! can anyone guide me through doing this? bearing in mind i dont have a great deal of network experience

Thanks
    Fergal[/code]

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

So as I understand it, the printer is directly connected to your Win2K machine via either a parallel cable or a usb cable. It's not a network printer in that it doesn't have it's own IP address...the Win2K machine is just sharing it out to the workgroup. I've got the same set up here. My print device is shared from an old Windows 98 SE machine to the rest of the network. The first time each machine accesses the print device, it has to go through the \\print_server_name\print_device connection from the run window of the remote machine. After you do this, you usually get a message on the remote machine inviting you to download the drivers from the host device. You click OK, stuff downloads and you have a connection. Afterwards, the print device should appear under Printers and Faxes in the Start Menu.

Alternately, you could run the Add a Printer wizard and try adding it that way. After the initial dialog box, you are offered the option of choosing a directly connected or networked printer. Choose networked of course. Click next and then type in the name \\host_name\print_device and click Next. You are offered to make this the default printer. Choose the "Yes" radio button. A summary page comes up. Click "Finish" and it's done. Your remote machine should now print to the print device on the Win2K computer with no further ado.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Saw this post on the boards not long after you posted it Fergal, but I was too damn tired to answer it. Ahh I thought I'll do it in the morning. Trip beat me to it.

Basically what Trip said. As soon as you connect to the printer, the drivers are donloaded onto the machine and the printer is set up. Clever ehh :D

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  4. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Trip hits it on the nail

If you want true network printing you will need a hub and a jetdirect box.

5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I've got to earn my keep around here somehow. :wink: :D

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. Fergal1982

yeah that seemed to work fine for installing the drivers, but it still seems to require that i log on in order to use the printer, yet the pc doesnt actually require a logon in order to start up the machine (although the logons are there).

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  7. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

I think that as it's a workgroup you will need the same user accounts with the same passwords on each machine. If you've got that I'm sure all you would need to do is just have the pc that the printer is attached to switched on and not logged in.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  8. Fergal1982

ok, i did that. it seems to be working now (woooo). however, next problem! how do i set it up in such a way that i dont actually have to type my password on my xp system when booting up? (i already have a BIOS password, dont want a windows password!)

Fergal

9. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

set the password to blank. But If it is connected to the net not a good idea