Network Printer

Discussion in 'Networks' started by kat731, Jul 30, 2007.

1. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Hi all,

still in the process of installing this new printer at work. Keep getting sidetracked by users and their I NEED A FLAT SCREEN....
    Anyway, the printer is replacing an old 2400c, which is connected to the network by parallel to a print server which also has ethernet which is connected to the photocopier. The print server is then connected to the one and only ethernet wall socket in the area.
    The new printer is a Konica 7450, it has parallel/ethernet/usb.. its a Gbit port, so im wondering are there print servers with double ethernet? or could i use usb print server with 4 port switch? or maybe just stick it on parallel and forget it. Im really on my own here, asked new IT manager, he said whatever you think........Great!!

Kat

Certifications: BA (Hons), A+
    WIP: 70-685 77-884
  2. C4sper

C4sper Byte Poster

do you really need to plug it into a print server? plug it directly into switch and give it an IP address (via menu on the printer)
    and that should work
    then just install drivers on a print server, share it, and there you go
    1 working shared network printer

Certifications: ECDL, A+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  3. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

If im reading this right then basically you have one network point and two devices needing to connect?

Does the Photocopier also have a built in NIC? I've never came across a copier connected to a print server, but thats not to say it doesn't happen

If so, easy solution would be a small hub or switch connected to the network point, and connect both printers to it.

Certifications: CCNA, CCNA Security
    WIP: CCNP
  4. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Thanks, sorry Briz my mistake.. just checked.
    P/Copier isnt. Just ethernet lead from wall point to p/server - parallel to printer.

Kat

Certifications: BA (Hons), A+
    WIP: 70-685 77-884
  5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Then stick a small cheap switch on the wall socket and use Ethernet for the printer. Much faster than parallel.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Yep. Although it may go against every principle of network design you'll ever learn, those little 50 quid 'dumb' switches are everywhere in the 'real world'. I've got one sitting at the end of my desk at work - strangely enough you'll tend to find more of them in the IT department than anywhere else :)

Plus, I'm betting - like everywhere else - that there aren't enough patch ports anyway, so you'll be able to re-cable into that local switch if you neeed to.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yup, patch the printer into the network, give it an IP and then add a printer on the server. Configure a TCP\IP port (same IP as the printer) and then share the printer.

When a user needs to add the printer just type \\servername at the run line and double click the printer, easy! (kinda!) :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs