Network+ or MCDST?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by nXPLOSi, Feb 7, 2007.

1. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Hi All,

I've got a decision to make, Im going to have the chance to take some courses. I've already penciled in A+ Essentials then A+ Elective. My question is, I've noticed that alot of people go towards MCDST after A+ and some (seems like less) go down the Network+ route...

Im looking for opinions on which road to go down, and which will be more beneficial for the future...!!

Cheers

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Network+ is one exam where as MCDST is two.

Network+ combined with A+ is an elective for MCSA

MCDST is an elective for MCSA

Network+ can come in handy when you need to know more about networking.

MCDST can be useful when you are in a user facing support role

MCDST is soley based on MS technologies

Pass one of the two MCDST exams and you become an MCP

Just some things for you to think about in making your decision. 8)

3. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Thanks for that Simon, alot of points I really need to have a think about. At the moment im leaning towards MCDST as it involves user interaction, coupled with my IT Support 1st/2nd line experience, would be a good combination for future jobs.

Although its another exam, tough choice! :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I've got the answer for you: both. They're both quite useful. Why settle for just one?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Thats a good point you have there, I began thinking that it was a case of A+/N+ or MCDST, but after looking through a few previous topics and sites, its clear that each cert would benefit me in different ways.

In that case, is there a logical path to take, A+, N+ then MCDST or does it not matter? My guess would be to tackle to Comptia certs and then move onto vendor specific?

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Personally, I don't think it matters a great deal which order you do them in. But here's my logic for doing Net+ first: Net+ might be similar in structure to the A+, as they're both CompTIA exams. If you do MCDST afterwards, that'll get your feet wet for MCSA/MCSE stuff, and you can be well into the "Microsoft mindset" by that point.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I'm in a similar position to yourself, just about to take the 2 A+ exams (2003 obj) and with hope to pass first time. Currently, I'm in a desktop support role and we get a chance every 3 months to select any training we wish to go on and the company will pay for it.

Before I knew this I was thinking A+, N+ and then MSDST, but as N+ is out of scope really for this job they won't pay for the course - so I think it has to come down to what you want to do and what you can do.

I agree that both are going to be goods certs to get but its about what you can get and where you want to go at a particular moment in time - for me I'm leaning towards 70-271 and then 70-272 in May (to get MSDST) just because the company will pay for it, afterwards if I can't see my job giving me any other opportunities (maybe 70-270) I'll do some self-study again for the N+.

You don't say what sort of role your in at the mo. If its already on 2nd line/desktop support status I'd go with MSDST (which I am), but if I was on 1st line/not entered IT career yet, I'd go with N+ as it gives you a solid grounding of networks.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  8. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

i think you should concentrate on A+ first and when the time comes, decide then, as you may change your mind and not go either of them... Just my opinon

9. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

I also say whats wrong with doing both? If i was going to say which one first - i think Network+ because it might help a little with MCDST unless you got some knowledge of networks already..

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  10. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

That was the original plan, but I may be able to get some funds for courses, and booking 3/4 at once = much cheaper. Thats were the problem of what to do next comes in.

My current role is sort of fuzzy, small company where most things IT related fall to myself and another guy. I've done a bit of everything from setting up servers to basic IT support!

I think i'll go for Net+ as the second cert, seems logical doing Comptia then moving on.

Thanks for your input guys, much appreciated! :biggrin