Network+ Motivation....

Discussion in 'Network+' started by swatto, Nov 25, 2009.

1. swatto

swatto Byte Poster

Hey all,

Just a bit of advice im after please. Im going to start the Network+ at the beginning of January next year as I have had to put it off due to other commitments, however I decided to have a look into it last night and make an early start on it - im really struggling to find any of it interesting and wondering whether I should do the MCDST instead as i know i will find this more appealing as I enjoy learning about software more than hardware.

Should I just stick with the Network+ and get through it before starting the MCDST or should I do it the other way around and do the MCST and then maybe the Network+?

Thanks for any advice/help

Certifications: BTEC Nat Dip: Software Dev, A+
    WIP: None Yet
  2. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

I have been studying my network+ for a while now, and although some of it i have found interesting(router, switches), i have also found it getting harder for myself to studying just because there is so much theory and no hands on stuff. Since this is kind of what i want to move into I am going to give it a proper go starting january with a well thought out study plan.

I suppose it depends on what may give you the beeter expierence just now and could maybe help towards your job.

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  3. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

I found my study of Network+ using the latest book from Mike Meyers quite interesting and well written. Took me less than a week to read through, helped quite a bit by my previous experience so not too many of the concepts were entirely new to me.

It can get a bit dry when talking about the OSI layers and this may not seem so interesting for some, but hang in there.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  4. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I found the N+ useful when doing the 70-271 so I'd advise doing the N+ first.

Personally I thought I wouldn't like this cert but I actually enjoyed it.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  5. swatto

swatto Byte Poster

Thankyou for the replies all, looks like I will crack on with the Network+ then - I only have the Passport book at the moment but might invest in the Mike Meyers one too...hmmm :dry

Certifications: BTEC Nat Dip: Software Dev, A+
    WIP: None Yet
  6. Finkenstein

Finkenstein Kilobyte Poster

I can see how the concepts can get dry. I did some work towards my Network+ and I've found that a lot of the stuff in the Cisco world overlaps that in a huge way, and for me it was much more exciting to focus on the Cisco world and get the hands on experience there. As a result in going back to review Network+ stuff, the majority of the "dry" areas I was already very proficient in from going over the Cisco stuff for so long. Now I'm getting ready to FINALLY take my CCNA exams and I think I will immediately take the Network+ once I pass those.

I don't recommend going for the Cisco exams without experience, however it is a great example of how hands on experience makes a big difference!

BTW, I have browsed the Mike Meyers book as well, and it seemed MUCH better than the book that I was using. A LOT more enjoyable, then again Mike Meyers' books usually are.

Certifications: MCP, Network+, CCENT, ITIL v3
    WIP: 640-822
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

me too.

remember the passport book is basically for revision purposes only although it's better to take notes from the actual Network + book by Meyers.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. miflandia

miflandia Byte Poster

I just got it an hour ago. I red through the first couple of pages, i think i going to enjoy it, it is written in the same style as the A+ AIO.
    And cost me 21.29 £.

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+