Network monitoring/management software question

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by Pete01, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

I’m shooting for my first network role, I’ve had a call from an agent who is putting me forward for one. It’s a junior helpdesky type role in a NOC, the agent said I have an OK chance because I have a CCNA but they’ll want me to be able to hit the ground running.

My 7.5 years IT experience is in PC/server troubleshooting and I have no real commercial experience of networking. I did a lot of labs when I did CCNA so I can get round routers and switches but I’m anticipating that they’ll want some experience or at least knowledge of whatever monitoring software they use.

Can anyone tell me what some popular networking monitoring tools are? Maybe if I can familiarise myself with one or two I might have a chance of getting a foot in the door. Looking at job ads for some junior networking roles I see things like Ciscoworks being a requirement. I have used Solarwinds but I think that is different.

Anyone able to suggest some programs used in NOCs that I can read up on and maybe even try some demos of?

*EDIT* - Just found a demo of IPSentry - I think I've seen this one mentioned on a few job ads - can anyone tell me if it's used a lot and a good one to start messing around with?

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  2. NetEyeBall

NetEyeBall Kilobyte Poster

I have worked in two NOCS. Compaq used CA TNG Unicenter and Whats Up Gold (which is basically just a graphical ping utility).

Currently I work in another NOC and we have used HP Openview, and am just switching to Spectrum.

For ticketing systems I have used CA Advanced Helpdesk, Tivoli, and Remedy.

I really wouldn't concern yourself with downloading the monitoring software too much. They will take you about 10 minutes to become somewhat familiar with on the job.

I would emphasis your background and wide range of experience with servers, and your networking skills with Cisco (CCNA). Throw some words in about being detailed and customer focused. Concerned about not dropping the ball, and understanding the importance of meeting SLAs.

Most NOCs don't actually do much troubleshooting Level 1 mostly. AT&T NOC just has access to show commands from my conversations with them. My NOC however is a bit different. I have full access and can solve whatever I can solve. On the downside our network is very large and complex, so I don't actually resolve the more interesting problems. I consider myself a circuit jockey, but I have been reloading routers for IOS upgrades, fixing duplex mis-matches, and so on.

NOCs usually are a filter for on call "fix-agents" which are level 2 and 3.

Your mileage may vary and if you want to talk further just let me know and we can setup a call. I think you will do fine. Be positive.

Obviously you know telnet and SSH. Download a copy of Putty for a good SSH client.

Certifications: CCNA, A+, N+, MCSE 4.0, CCA
    WIP: CCDA, CCNP, Cisco Firewall
  3. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

That's a very kind and thoughtful offer and very much appreciated. They haven't called back thus far so I don't think they will. I was looking forward to doing CCNP instead of grinding out MS certs because that's where my experience is.

Another one will come up I'm sure - I've dug around my new job a bit more and there is scope for me to make a few changes I'll just have to become a consultant on permanent wage to make it happen - oh well.

I don't like that the whole WAN is outsourced to a 'cloud' company - but that's because they (we) don't have the skills in house - maybe we do now!

I might take you up on that call after all if that's ok!

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  4. NetEyeBall

NetEyeBall Kilobyte Poster

Absolutely. PM me and I can get my number to you.

Certifications: CCNA, A+, N+, MCSE 4.0, CCA
    WIP: CCDA, CCNP, Cisco Firewall