network engineer assessment NSC.........

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by mr network, Sep 25, 2012.

1. mr network

mr network New Member

hi, just looking for advice. I am going for my first interview with NSC global after having completed my CCNA and am really nervous.

anyone recently had a network engineer interview/assessment recently with NSC global?

what can I expect? what CCNA type questions will they ask?
    what is the practical like? do they give you few sims to complete?

anything else I should worry about?

sorry for all the questions, just really, really want the job :)

2. Wireless_Snake

Wireless_Snake Nibble Poster

I went for an interview with these last year the interview process was quite laid back it started as a group interview then a small assessment the questions were quite easy the toughest question was the difference between BECN and FECN if you don't know look it up. There was a few questions on show commands also had to explain LAN communciation how is arp used. Fundamentals really. After dinner they do individual interviews and ask you more personal questions typical interview questions I wouldn't worry about it. It's the best interview I went to very relaxed. You should still do you research quite an interesting business.

Technically I got the job but it wasn't due to start for a couple of months so I got something else.

Good luck - I hope this helps.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
    Certifications: BSc (Hons) Computer Network Tech, CCNA, CCAI
    WIP: CCNP, VCP 5, SCP
    mr network likes this.
  3. mr network

mr network New Member

were there any sims? like in offical ccna exams? were the questions in the test in interview multiple choice or open ended?

what job did you take in the end? did you regret it?

just called them and they said shifts are 7til7 morning or night with 4th week of month off work, or normal 9-5 type day shift.

4. Wireless_Snake

I taken a engineering job closer to home NSC wanted me to travel and it wasn't certain how many hours you would have. You would only get paid for the work you did.

The 'exam' is a paper based exam some multiple choice and some open ended no sims. I I remember correctly you need something like 80% to move onto the next stage. The whole interview process is done in 1 day.

mr network likes this.
  5. mr network

mr network New Member

what you mean you only get paid for the work you did? how does that work?

thanks for the tips, I will just revise all CCNA material I have for a few days before interview.

you enjoying your current role? any regrets?

6. BraderzTheDog

BraderzTheDog Kilobyte Poster

Hi,

About 4 months ago I was in a similar position to yourself, I currently work as a network security engineer.

When I went for my interview the questions were quite basic, however I applied for a Junior role so I didn't expect questions that were above me. If you have read the job spec and can do what it says then be confident.

A few sample questions I had.

Port numbers and protocols used for the service.

For example what port does DNS use and what protocol? (quite simple, but try to make the most of the answer)

You could say port 53 and UDP, but do you know it uses TCP, and do you know when it would use TCP? At the time of my interview I didn't know why it would use TCP specifically but I used the Cisco knowledge I already had to show my employer how my thinking pattern worked.

You will probably get a scenario question that may have a screenshot of a TCP dump showing where packets are being dropped etc... Its good if you can pick out bits of this and let them see your thought process.

All I can really say is good luck, have confidence and think logically. Not all questions you will know the answer to but make an educated guess and explain the logic behind it. Employers are going to be looking at the steps you take in troubleshooting the problem, after all this is what you will be doing day to day :)

Regards,
    Brad.

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA-SEC, CCSA, JNCIA FWV, MCITP, MCTS, MTA, A+
    mr network likes this.
  7. mr network

mr network New Member

I am good with port numbers. I will revise all my CCNA material again next week.

So I take it the questions are open ended?

was there any practical/sim that you can remember? in my interview details, it say's there will be written test AND a practical???

8. BraderzTheDog

BraderzTheDog Kilobyte Poster

Good man,

Yeah ofcorse the questions are open ended usually there could be nore than 1 potential solution to a problem.

In regards to a simulation, i didnt have one in my interview but i can oly image they will want to see your confortable around the IOS and probably ask you to show them the routing table etc...

In all honesty don'y worry too much on the technical side of things. An interviewer once told me during interview; 'technical skills can be taught to anyboy, but being he right person for the job is he hardest part'.

In all show willingness to learn and be passionate! They want someone who loves technology, not a cash cow :-)

Let me know how you get on :-)

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA-SEC, CCSA, JNCIA FWV, MCITP, MCTS, MTA, A+
    mr network likes this.
  9. Wireless_Snake

Good luck mate let us know how it goes.

mr network likes this.
  10. mr network

mr network New Member

thanks everyone. i am revising for a few hours every day before my interview next week. just revising all ccna topics in general. not much else I can do I don't think.

i will let you know how i get on.

11. Wireless_Snake

How did you get on?

12. slamjam

slamjam New Member

Was this assessment on the 9th october in Redditch?

13. sahmed

sahmed Bit Poster

These guys are like ALWAYS recruiting, I applied for them last year and they told me they will get back for an assessment.....But the problem with them is they pay as you work...so its like temp work and then weeks off with no work, so I did not bother. How did u guys get along ?

14. ccnaengineer

ccnaengineer New Member

Hi, i have an assessment and interview for the Standard NOC engineer position with NSC Global at redditch. Is this a junior CCNA position? Someone rang me last week from NSC global and asked my about 12 questions, he told me that 10 must be correct to be invited for assessment, it went fine and i got 12/12.So he invited me for the assessment. I have recently passed my CCNA, i have good knowledge of CCNA but i dont have any working experience. My worry is the assessment and interview. How long is the written test? practical? and interview? and can I clear my assessment without experience? Do they bother about experience? in email they mentioned Bring 1 photo ID. Do i need to take my other educational documents/ certificates and degree with me? Can anybody explain the process of assessment. All this help would be much appreciated. Thanks

15. maubrey56

maubrey56 New Member

Hi ccnaengineer,

i submitted my application for the noc engineer, but i havent heard from them. do you remember the 12 questions that they asked you. Thanks

16. ccnaengineer

ccnaengineer New Member

hi,
    i can not remember all of them, they were very basic ccna questions. 1. how many usable hosts in /30 subnet? 2. on which layer udp and tcp work?on which layer switch and router work? what does ACL do? these type of questions very basic ones.

17. slamjam

slamjam New Member

I been to this assessment recently about 4 weeks back. I am in the same position as you, ccna with no experience manage to pass the written test on the day, standard CCNA test questions. We also had a team practical. I made it to the interview stage which is the final stage. I thought i gave a good interview but they called me back the next day telling me i've been unsuccessful because i had no experience. They could have looked at my cv and worked that out. Assessment day is a all day thing. The pay and conditions all good so you want to get in.

written test - standard ccna questions - subnetting, basic trouble shooting, how to check layer 1 2 3 problems. but it is timed 20 mins.
    practical test - This is a bit tricky so be careful, They want to see team work in solving problems, communication, then tshoot (layer 1 ,2 3) remember communicate with your team mates. The problem is simple. They said that router 2 is configured correctly but they lied, it wasn't so check everything but remember to communicate!!!!! talk about the topology it very simple setup but still discuss it. brief your teammates before you go in.

Interview stage - a discussion about your CV and history its more like a casual chat with AT&T. But they will decide who will get hired.

18. ccnaengineer

ccnaengineer New Member

Slamjam Thanks for giving me the information. how many questions are in written test and are they multiple-choice questions? how many candidates were there, when you went for an assessment? what type of questions do they ask in interview? any other advice would be appreciated.

19. slamjam

slamjam New Member

When i went their where 14 candidates and 4 positions, pretty good odd i thought. One thing i did notice their were ppl there who already worked for nscglobal but in other departments and they all made it to the interview stage, so there may be some 'favouritism';

They will ask you about BGP and MPLS, CCNP level stuff, so just watch some youtube videos on them.

The written test is simple but its timed that the tricky bit panic will set in. Just go through ur revision notes you be ok. some where mutlichoice and some where u had to write a sentence or two, nothing taxing.

Keep us posted on your progress.

20. ccnaengineer

ccnaengineer New Member

Salamjam thanks for your help. I will post my experience. I know i am asking too much but I need help. Can you remember any questions of written test, if you do can tell me please and how many were they? what do they ask about BGP and MPLS, just general or any commands? Did they ask anything about SLAs and Ticketing system? If they did, what did they ask? and last thing, it is difficult to revise complete CCNA material, can you tell me some topics which are more important like subnetting. Thanks a lot. I look forward to hearing from you.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012