Network+ and Win 95/98

Discussion in 'Network+' started by Dexter, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Dexter

Dexter Nibble Poster

Ok so i'm joyfully readihg away in my Network+ book....the groth one, and I keep seeing instructions for installing stuff on 95/98. Do the exams really care about WIn 95/98, I mean I know the book isn't exactly 100% current material but isn't this a networking exam, not a history one!?? :)

I guess my question is has anybody come across questions on these OSes recently? Do I need to be learning my way around their GUI's?

Cheers

Certifications: A+ N+ MCDST
    WIP: LPIC-1 - HTML - MYSQL
  2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

You have to remember, there are still companies out there using these outdated OS's. I am currently working at a company in a non IT capacity and they're still running Citrix Metaframe for NT4, hence the servers are still running on NT4. Some of the PCs are still using Windows 95.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yup some of the OSes are still being used on live networks.

As for the Network+ I don’t remember any question directly aimed at a particular Microsoft OS. You do have to know what protocols are used for various OSes from Microsoft, Novell and Apple.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Neil

Neil Byte Poster

I myself was wondering that question. No doubt that some people still use those old OSes.......cheap bastards exist in the world afterall, but if its sufficient to get *their* work done, well OK. But that's not the question.

The question is whether or not questions based on the Win9x navigation system are frequent or found in the exam. I'm also interested about if they're alot of questions on those TCP/IP utilities and their switches. I guess so, but I just wanna know if there's alot of questions on those. :)

Certifications: CompTIA A+ & Network+
    WIP: MCSA: 70-270
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Everybodies exam will be different as is the same with other cert exams so you wont know untill you do it.

When I did my A+ I had lots of XP questions a friend of mine done it a week after me and had Windows 2000 questions. So its best to know and study as much as possible.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. Neil

Neil Byte Poster

Yea I know.........that's exactly what I'm doing, but just wanted a response from those that took the exam. I'm placing more emphasis and time on the OSI, protocols, cable details and obj 3 & 4. I'm just trusting that I'll get what I studied for. I just wanna get this exam over with and start MCSA, cuz this is taking too long!!!

BTW GBL, when do you plan to take your exam?

7. Dexter

Dexter Nibble Poster

Thanks for all your input guys. Its much appreciated.

I'm basically taking the same approach as GBL and Neil, just cover it all and hopefully get to the end with a smile on my face :)

A pleasure as always :thumbleft

8. Neil

Neil Byte Poster

Good luck mate! :thumbleft

How far are you in your studies and when do you plan on taking the exam?

9. Dexter

Dexter Nibble Poster

Well I gotta admit I'm probably not the quickest studier here but I'm about three months into my studies. Like most I'm studying on the evenings and ocassionally on the weekends .....when circumstance allows. Yep, life is tough at the moment but its the price of progress right?!

How long till I take the exam? Thats a tough one. I've not scheduled an exam but probably another three months. Like most people here, when I'm ready I'm ready. I dont fancy paying for the exam twice!!!

Good luck to you too Neil. Hope all goes well on the day:)

10. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I was hoping to have it done by now, but because all the crazy hours I have been working and not having a life I havent had time to study. But I have time now so I'll be getting my head down into the books.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  11. Neil

Neil Byte Poster

Well GOOD LUCK to you guys: Dexter and GBL!

We definitely AIN'T gonna pay for the same exam twice! So here's to nailing Network+ in the near future! :)