Network and Server Apprenticeships

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by NoCompanyIT, Jul 14, 2009.

1. NoCompanyIT

NoCompanyIT Nibble Poster

I look at apprenticeships.org.uk quite often and most of the time there is nothing interesting. But today I found some great apprentice vacancies at Birmingham City University, the pay is terrible (£95 week), but if you're very young then this is a great apprenticeship.

Because you have to register to find out more about jobs, and most people don't like to register, I'll just copy and paste here if that is ok.

ICT Network Support Apprentice
    Birmingham City University

ob Ref: ID8404 1.Learn about commissioning and maintaining network equipment. a.Assist in the configuration and deployment of network equipment in the campus network, including wireless access points. Working under supervision of Network Development Manager. b.Help document the configuration for each piece of network equipment. Help document the procedure for deploying a new pieces of equipment. c.Working with the Business Continuity Team help maintain a step-by-step disaster recovery plan for the replacement of each piece of network equipment. d.Be aware of new releases of software for use on network equipment, and observe deployment of new versions. e.Acquire understanding of on-line log and status information held on network switches and understand how they aid diagnosis. 2.Support configuration librarian for network. a.Help maintain an accurate record of the hardware and software configuration of network equipment. b.Work with more senior colleagues to ensure that all qualifying residential network equipment is allocated an asset number and is recorded on the University's register of assets. c.Manage the stock of UTP patch and other connecting cords. 3.Help determine & measure network performance metrics a.Assist the Infrastructure Services Team in identifying the key performance metrics of the network equipment in the network. b.Learn about the interfaces to allow the automatic measurement of these metrics, where necessary. 4.Maintenance of data cabling installation specification. a.Help produce the data cabling document produced by CICT 5.Help support of students within the residences a.Help provide service desk support to students in the residences b.Assist in monitoring usage and activities on the residential network. 6.Develop technical ability. a.Improve technical skills though reading & research, participating in formal training, attending presentations, learning from your line manager and others in your team, and asking questions when uncertain. b.Take pride in doing a job well, and resolve to do better when mistakes happen. 7.Contribute to the improvement of CICT and its services. a.Help develop project-based systems, policies and procedures. b.Help colleagues in your team and on your projects to achieve their work goals. c.Reflect on the area of work and, when appropriate, propose new developments which would improve the quality of the service offered to the University's users. 8.Attend appropriate classes and tuition at the relevant educational establishment. a.Abide by all rules and regulations specified by the educational establishment. b.Take direction from course tutors and other similar authorities. c.Attend pre-scribed assessments and examinations d.Prepare, maintain and present a detail log of activates and learning.

Server Development Apprentice

Job Ref ID8607 1.Learn about commissioning and maintaining server equipment. a. Assist in the configuration and deployment of server equipment in the data centre. Working under supervision of Systems Manager (Messaging Services). b. Help document the configuration for each piece of server equipment. Help document the procedure for deploying a new pieces of equipment. c. Working with the Business Continuity Team help maintain a step-by-step disaster recovery plan for the replacement of each piece of server equipment. d. Be aware of new releases of software for use on server equipment, and observe deployment of new versions. e. Acquire understanding of on-line log and status information held on server activities and understand how they aid diagnosis. 2. Support configuration librarian for servers. a. Help maintain an accurate record of the hardware and software configuration of server equipment. b. Work with more senior colleagues to ensure that all qualifying server equipment is allocated an asset number and is recorded on the University's register of assets. 3. Help determine & measure server performance metrics a. Assist the Sever Services Team in identifying the key performance metrics of the server equipment in the server. b. Learn about the interfaces to allow the automatic measurement of these metrics, where necessary. 4. Develop technical ability. a. Improve technical skills though reading & research, participating in formal training, attending presentations, learning from your line manager and others in your team, and asking questions when uncertain. b. Take pride in doing a job well, and resolve to do better when mistakes happen. 5. Contribute to the improvement of CICT and its services. a. Help develop project-based systems, policies and procedures. b. Help colleagues in your team and on your projects to achieve their work goals. c. Reflect on the area of work and, when appropriate, propose new developments which would improve the quality of the service offered to the University's users. 6. Attend appropriate classes and tuition at the relevant educational establishment. a. Abide by all rules and regulations specified by the educational establishment. b. Take direction from course tutors and other similar authorities. c. Attend pre-scribed assessments and examinations d. Prepare, maintain and present a detail log of activates and learning.

Ok I just noticed they have 3 more apprenticeships for Helpdesk/Service desk as well.

Certifications: Bsc (1st)
  2. Len

Len Byte Poster

:cussing

Certifications: BND IT Practitioners
    WIP: Comptia A+
  3. L1ONE

L1ONE Bit Poster

its a shame i live in London, because this is probably just what i need, some practical experience.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, MCDST, MCP
    WIP: N+ maybe.
  4. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

Applied for them about a month ago i know some one who works there but birmingham is quite a distance for me to travel everyday.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  5. NoCompanyIT

NoCompanyIT Nibble Poster

Have you had any response back yet?

I also applied thinking that after the first year pay will be ok. Not that I think I'll get anywhere, they're after younger people.

Certifications: Bsc (1st)