Netgear N150 Bridge mode help!

Discussion in 'Networks' started by BraderzTheDog, Mar 9, 2013.

1. BraderzTheDog

BraderzTheDog Kilobyte Poster

Hi Guys,

Maybe you can point out the obvious to me but I can seem to use the netgear N150 router as just an AP. My ISP sent me this ages ago but I currently run a Juniper SSG5 firewall PPPoE'd to the ISP.

The main gist of running the Netgear router is that it does the WAN authentication for you and is very "end user friendly". This is frustrating me as I simply want to use it as an AP. Its dual band runs Wireless N and is alot better then my TP link AP!

What I've done so far... Tried to set a static route to the firewall and was hoping to either push DHCP down to the wireless clients through the AP itself... No biggie if I can't do this I can setup a scope on the Firewall and push through a specific interface on the Juniper.

Back to my default route... It doesn't work, tried to set 0.0.0.0/0 next hop 10.0.0.254 (my firewall address), doesn't accept this as a routing entry.

So I've half given up, anyone know how I can get this thing in layer 2 mode? I'll just push DHCP down through my firewall, I was hoping to put the wireless network on a different subnet, but thats looking a bit advanced for this bag of ....

Failing getting this working I think I'll get a Cisco AP :)

Cheers,

Brad.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
    Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA-SEC, CCSA, JNCIA FWV, MCITP, MCTS, MTA, A+
  2. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

Try disabling DHCP / NAT on the N150 and connecting it to your network using one of it's LAN ports. The N150 should just act as an access point, and let DCHP get handled by your Juniper / other DHCP Server.

I've done this with multiple ADSL/Cable 'routers', and it usually works.

Thanks,

Gavin

BraderzTheDog likes this.
  3. BraderzTheDog

Cheers Gav,

I'll give it a pop see if it works.

Thanks mate,

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA-SEC, CCSA, JNCIA FWV, MCITP, MCTS, MTA, A+
  4. BraderzTheDog

Gav is the man, officially :)