NETBEUI TCP/IP and ICS?

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Jellyman_4eva, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Jellyman_4eva

Jellyman_4eva Byte Poster

Hi all,

Have been reading about how to secure home networks on the Internet recently and got mega confused about it!

I have a machine which has ICS, some shares and a WAP plugged into it.

From what I understood, having NETBEUI, Client for Windows and File and Printer sharing on the broadband NIC is not good, so I got rid of all of it apart from TCP/IP. All good, it still works fine!

The second step people have suggested is to remove TCP/IP from the clients accessing ICS, and use NETBEUI instead?! Does this work?!

Also why is this safer, I understood from Network+ the differences between TCP/IP and NETBEUI/NETBIOS, but when it all gets mixed with NETBIOS over TCP/IP and everything else, it just gets weird!

Anyone care to explain?!

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP-EDST/EDA/EA/SA/ MCSA 2K3/2K8, MCSE+M 2K3/2K8, ISA/TMG, VCP3/4, CCNA, Exchange, SQL, Citrix, A+, N+, L+, Sec+, Ser+, JNCIA-SSL, JNCIS-SSL
    WIP: Lots
  2. Try

Try Bit Poster

Hi jellyman,

1-From what I understood, having NETBEUI, Client for Windows and File and Printer sharing on the broadband NIC is not good, so I got rid of all of it apart from TCP/IP. All good, it still works fine!
    Netbeui ,is ''similar'' to tcp/ip to an extent as a general rule dont use netbeui unless you have to.
    the Client for Windows and File and Printer sharing is the dodgy part, It is not needed for connecting to the Internet or for using any Internet services. Using it in wide area networking (WAN - like the Internet) situations, dramatically lowers your security by divulging information about you and your computer, so get rid of it is only required for sharing files and printer services with other Microsoft-based PC's.
    -The second step people have suggested is to remove TCP/IP from the clients accessing ICS, and use NETBEUI instead?! Does this work?!
    tcp/ip is the facto standart for the internet, without it nothing will work (to an extent) Netbeui will work on small networks but not on the net its not a routable protocol.
    -Also why is this safer, I understood from Network+ the differences between TCP/IP and NETBEUI/NETBIOS, but when it all gets mixed with NETBIOS over TCP/IP and everything else, it just gets weird!

Netbios is used in conjunction with wins for name resolution, once again just remember that DNS is the facto standart for name resolution even tho there are still applications out there that use NETBIOS for computer resolution.
    Netbeui is a Transport protocol that has nothing to do with name resolution... the only reason poeple still talk about it or ''use it'' is because it FASTER than tcp/ip.

NETBEUI TUTORIAL

How about using NAT it's a more secure and robust solution for sharing an internet connection?
    hope that clarified things a bit.

Certifications: N+ MCP 210-215
    WIP: MCSA