.Net Telnet Server

Discussion in 'Scripting & Programming' started by Fergal1982, Oct 21, 2007.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Hey guys,

I'm looking at developing a telnet server in .Net. It needs to be able to support multiple concurrent users (talking hundreds kind of thing).

Problem is, I have no idea how to implement a telnet server, and was wondering if any of you guys had any idea where good tutorials/sample code can be found?

I'll be developing this in VB.Net, so ideally the code should be in that format, but I can more or less get by looking at c# code, so its not the end of the world if its in that format.

Any ideas?

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Er - why? AFAIK telnet server is available in IIS. This is apart from the fact that telnet is almost dead and gone because of the inherant insecure nature of the protocol! Most admins now ban it from use - certainly we do at work, unless there is a *very* good reason and the manager signs the request in his own blood! :biggrin

And a full implementation of telnet - complete with all the options - is a *big* job - possibly 6 man months or more.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Fergal1982

ok, maybe i was a little vague on the details. I'm creating an app that is connected to via telnet protocols. Its not actually telnet I suppose, but thats how its connected to.

Its actually a MUD server, but that connects over telnet.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Ah - I thought the original question was a little odd!

So you are creating a MUD and this is the 'front-end' to the MUD? And users connect to it via any telnet-like client (but presumably to a different port)?

Do you just need a line-orientated protocol, or do you need all the terminal-emulation stuff that normaly is associated with Telnet? A simple line-orientated protocol is fairly easy to do using sockets, although the corner-cases can bite you.

And how are you going to handle multiple users at the same time in the MUD?

The source for AberMUD is freely available if you want to see how some of these things are done - (although that was hosted on Unix boxes - IMHO inherantly a better platform for that sort of thing, as processes are relatively lightweight).

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. Fergal1982

Thats more or less everything I need to figure out how to do. I dont have the foggiest how to approach a telnet-type app, and dealing with multiple users, within that context, etc.

I'm actually looking at setting it up as a barebones MUD system - not putting too much of the code in place hardcoded. I'm looking at the ICompiler stuff to allow dynamic creation/execution of code. That way it will allow the environment to adapt and develop as needed, without having to actually go into the code and rebuild the project, etc, and minimise downtime. So I need to hard-code the basic skeleton, and put the system in place for allowing adaptability.

I'll take a look at AberMUD. Thanks.