Net +/A+ or MCSA?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by noel123ie, Aug 22, 2008.

1. noel123ie

noel123ie Nibble Poster

Hi there

Ive done a diploma course which includes a networking module so Ive got a good base in this

I was wondering from an employment point of view am I better doing Net +/A+ or MCSA?

Ive decided - I think to go the Microsoft route and not Cisco

Ive decided - I think to go the Microsoft route and not Cisco

Ill get the CBT Nugget disks and read book

What labs can I use?

Any help would be great
    Noel

Certifications: MCSA Sec+
  2. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

I'm not much use, but I just finished a Diploma course type thing and went into Employment, so i'm looking to add weight behind it with certs.

I decided A+ and Networking + wernt right just yet, so I've started on the MCDST as i'm in a desktop support envrioment so it makes sense as the first step (as long as I can manage it)

I think my company will be sending me on some MCSE Course that needs to be completed in 3 months soon, so that could be a problem lol.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  3. noel123ie

noel123ie Nibble Poster

thanks i want to move jobs in call centre at the mo..

im guessing mcps/mcsa would look best rather than a+/net+

What you reckon?

Noel

4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

MCSE in three months for a non pro ? Are they nuts ! :blink

MCSE is at least seven exams, most people will probably need at least 4 weeks part time study per exam, thats on top of some relevant experience.

5. noel123ie

noel123ie Nibble Poster

How many hours per exam?

What tools should I use for this?

Thanks
    Noel

6. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Here is a list of exams you can take to become an MCSA, which is a credible cert for a network Admin

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcsa/windows2003/default.mspx

Each exam has a list of topics it will test you on, so you need the theory side of things nailed and a good level of practice and hands on experience to pass these exams.

Most people will do self study via books, cbts and practice exams, and also use vmware or microsoft virtual server to practice concepts they dont use in work.

This isnt a quick process for someone starting out, maybe MCDST or A+/Network+ would be more appropriate for you and your company to look at as a starting point.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  7. noel123ie

noel123ie Nibble Poster

Thanks guys ive a basic understanding of networking.

Do you think an MCP or two would give me a better chance of moving jobs than net +

my current company will not pay for any training

Thanks
    Noel

8. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I agree with kevicho, first start with A+ & N+ or MCDST.

After that you can consider MCSA, thats four exams and approximately half an MCSE.

There are lots of resources, colleges, cbts, books etc.

You will also probably need Virtual PC or VMWare, versions can be downloaded for free.

It took me about 6 months part time study to get my MCSA.

9. Naive

Naive Byte Poster

I'm studying MCDST as I'm aiming to get into a DST role to begin with. But I will definitely be taking the N+ and A+.
    Noel I think that you should take A+ & N+ as these will give you solid ground and I'm not sure if you're aware or not but they also count as an elective towards the MCSA. I know I'm pointing out the obvious but I think it's important to just clarify it regardless. :D

WIP: MCDST
  10. noel123ie

noel123ie Nibble Poster

Ya that seems the general thinking

How long would these take i wonder

Thanks
    Noel

11. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

How long is a piece of string? It's entirely dependant upon your own knowledge/past experiences/exam prep etc.

You said that you work in a call-centre at the moment so I'm assuming that's not IT based? With no hands on experience it may take you longer to study and pass certain exams but fear not - it can all be done self study.

You've received some good advice from the other users, however don't stop there. You can find far more information concerning possible resources advice etc on our forums (links can be found below):-

Forum Link for A+

Forum Link for N+

Official information on each exam:-

CompTIA's A+

CompTIA's N+

Once you've completed these two then most people step up to a Microsoft Cerification called MCDST (Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician (IIRC)).

Forum advice for this can be found here

Hope this helps. If you're confused or require further clarification then let us know :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  12. noel123ie

noel123ie Nibble Poster

Great info thanks for taking the time

Im IT based(1st level) and have a diploma in IT Support so thats a start which has a good module on networking

Will look up info on links

Thanks a mill
    Noel

13. Naive

Naive Byte Poster

Well you're one step ahead being in a 1st line role. If it is possible, maybe have a chat with your manager to see how they view career development there?, in a great scenario you could end up eventually studying towards an MCSA whilst complimenting that with hands on experience with your companies network. If you can manage to stay at the same company whilst you are developing, looks a lot more attractive on your CV having commercial experience for the same company :)

WIP: MCDST
  14. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Agreed! It's about time sometime did this... +rep Naive, nice one mate. :)

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  15. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I would recommend that you first pursue the A+ and Network+, followed by the MCDST. The MCSA is designed for people with at least 6 months experience administering servers... not just 6 months in IT, but 6 months doing that job. Pursuing the MCSA (or worse, the MCSE) now will make you overcertified for your experience level. In time, it WILL be worth your effort to pursue it. But take things one logical step at a time.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  16. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

Dont forget you can do A+ & N+ and then use them combined for an optional to count towards your MCSA.

After just achieving an MCSA I would suggest you consider going down the A+ & N+ route.

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK