needing made up info for databases

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by postal postie, Sep 7, 2007.

1. postal postie

postal postie Nibble Poster

hi
    i can't remember whether it was on this site but i remember seeing someone somewhere posting a web address that would give you made up information so that you can practise using databases and SQL code etc.

anyone know of this address please? :)

2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Google you can't go wrong.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Google for "sample databases".

I don't know which RDBMS you plan on using, but MySQL has 3 on their site and I'm pretty sure Postgres has pretty much the same ones. SQL server comes with the Northwind DB and one other one that I can't recall off the top of my head.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

5. postal postie

thanks for your help. i tried googling but couldn't find anythign.

i've got SQL server 2003 from work and want to practice my SQL at home so i require a quite substantial database which link together so i can do corrolated subqueries etc.

making one up muyself would take years :D

6. postal postie

7. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Well I guess if you're too lazy to type CREATE TABLE and INSERT INTO yada yada yada a couple times... :biggrin

Automating this with a scripting language also wouldn't be that hard, thats all thoose sites have done. It depends what you want the data for, unless you are doing volume, bulk, performance testing etc its not likely that you need that.

For learning queries you just need a few rows.

8. postal postie

naaa. a few rows isn't enough for me :)

9. ffreeloader

Hmmmm.... You must have quite a close relationship with MS to have gotten your hands on that version of SQL Server. You're the only person I've ever seen that has it.... :twisted:

10. postal postie

it's a deveklopers version according to my boss. i don't know what different types of versions there are to be honest but there you go :)

11. ffreeloader

Well, I was referring to the fact that since the late 90's MS has only released 3 versions of SQL Server: SQL Server 7, SQL Server 2000, and SQL Server 2005. There was no SQL Server 2003....

Yes, I know it was a typo, but it was a pretty funny one, at least to my sense of humor....:biggrin

12. postal postie

ooooooh. i've written it down on my CD as 2003 :oops: :)

13. ffreeloader

LOL. Been there and done that too.... :tune

14. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

So I guess we're not talking about a genuine SQL Server 200x CD. :p :rolleyes:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  15. ffreeloader

Sure it is. It's a genuine copy of a genuine disk....:twisted:

16. postal postie

as a developer the license gives me the right to use SQL server. it's not like buying multiple licenses for a product depending on how many computers your going to install it on.
    you buy one license and that's it.

17. BosonMichael

For the record, unless you have some sort of subscription from Microsoft, you don't get free use of SQL Server just because you're a developer... :rolleyes:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  18. ffreeloader

Ummm..... I believe the developers edition of SQL Server is free. If I remember correctly in the 2005 edition it's called Express something or other.....

19. BosonMichael

There's certainly SQL Server 2005 Express Edition, which can be downloaded for free... but it's not full-blown SQL Server 2005. Better than nothin', I guess. And you can't beat the price! :)

All that said... you don't have to be a developer to use it for free... it's freely available to anyone, and no license is required. Thus, my confusion regarding his comment.

20. ffreeloader

I could be wrong about what the developer's edition is called in 2005, but in 2000 it was given away for free. You could do just about anything with it, you just couldn't use it in a production system. At least that's my memory of things. I haven't even looked at SQL Server for more than a year, so my memory could be wrong.