Need your advice ! To get MCSA 2003

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by gomcse2002, Dec 28, 2006.

1. gomcse2002

gomcse2002 Nibble Poster

Hi there

I got my MCSA 2000 and MCDST this year. I have passed the following exams so far:

70-210
    70-214
    70-215
    70-218
    70-235
    70-271
    70-272
    70-284
    COMPTAIA A+, NETWORK +, SECURITY +

I have failed 70-292 2 times, if I want to upgrade my skills to Windows Server 2003, should I prepare & study 70-290 and 70-291 instead ?

Please kinldy advise

A confused MCP in Canada

Certifications: MCITP, MCTS, MCSA, MCAS, A+, N+, S+, i+
    WIP: MCITP Windows 2008 server
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

The 70-291 is tough!

Why not give the 70-292 another go? :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Hey,

First of all good job on attaining the mcsa and the comptia certs.

In my opinion and correct me if I am wrong, I'll assum that you have done some studying for 292, maybe the reason you are failing the exam is because you might be weak at some points or dont understand the material completely or maybe you just need to change your method of studying, basicaly what ever it is that is preventing you from passing the exam needs to be corrected.

From seeing what you have achieved it looks like you are a good candidate for the exam and maybe with some adjustments you can pass the exam. I guess my whole reasoning is, why start studying for something new if you have already began your preparation for something else. Now obviously the exams are OS related but each exam to my knowledge specializes in something.

Just quick notice, statisticaly from what I read in the past, 70% of people that never failed any microsoft certification exam when take the 291 fail, because its a very hard exam to do, could be just as tough as 292.

Anyways I am just giving you my opinion and I really hope you pass your exam.

Good Luck with the exams in the future buddy.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. cjd

cjd Bit Poster

a friend of mine has mcsa 2000 as well, he said that it's only 1 exam away. but yeah as someone else mentioned if you've already prepared for an exam, why prepare for something else from scratch? but it is up to you.

Certifications: HND, A+, Network+
    WIP: MCDST
  5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  6. gomcse2002

gomcse2002 Nibble Poster

Thank you all your advice and may be I should focus on my weak area of 70-292 and give it one more shot.

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I answered you over on CertCities before I saw your post here... so I figured I'd copy-and-paste my reply over here as well...

70-292 is a combination of what you'll find on 70-290 and 70-291 individually. If you have trouble with 70-292, chances are you'll have trouble with one or both of the other exams. What are you using to study? And do you have hands-on experience with Server 2003?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. gomcse2002

gomcse2002 Nibble Poster

I am using MS Official Self paced training Kit. For the hands-on experience with Server 2003, to be frank, very minimal. May Be I don't need to upgrade my skills to Win2003 server yet.

I think my boss perfer me be more familar with Windows Vista and prepare to support Vista later on. May be I should focus on the new exams of 70-620, 70-622 and 70-623 exams.

Thanks for your advice.

9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Do all the labs in the book. Install Server 2003, play with it, do the labs, get familiar with it.

Vista's just a workstation OS - not a server OS. Unless you plan on doing nothing but desktop support, you should stick with your upgrade plan to get your MCSA 2003. Besides, you've already been studying this long... just brush up on your weak points.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

another idea is to get a second study guide as well as a reference book. You are learning in essence a "new" OS so i think maybe the Syngress guide would be good and ill personally recommend the Server 2003 Inside Out from MS Press... very good book!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics