Need to setup a test lab . . . . on a mac :S

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by jamin100, Jun 15, 2010.

1. jamin100

jamin100 Byte Poster

I've usually used vmware workstation in the past on Windows to setup a test lab and create a team and isolate it from the normal network etc..

I now want to be able to do this on a mac. VMware fusion doesnt seem to work like workstation does so can anyone recommend either a way around it, or some more software that will do the job?

I know I could use bootcamp but I really dont want to have to boot into Windows just to use VMware workstation...

In the beginning I'd only need a simple network with 3maybe 4 machines..

TIA :)

WIP: 70-680
  2. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Get a PC.

Sorry, been dieing for an excuse to do that.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  3. jamin100

jamin100 Byte Poster

Would love too but Mac's are better soooo :tune

Seriously though, not looking to turn this into a Mac vs Pc thing..

WIP: 70-680
  4. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Take a look at Parallels Desktop.
    I don't think it's free though.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  5. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

you could try VirtualBox. I believe it has a mac client. Never really used it though.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If they're indeed "better", make it work. Shouldn't be that hard... it's better, right?? :tune

Always use the right tool for the right job. ;) If you want to look cool or score with chicks, get a Mac. If you want a computing device that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and will do pretty much whatever you need it to do, get a PC. :twisted:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

its in the network options for the box, cant remember if you do at the select machine screen or using the VM tools once it is up and running.

You have got the right tools so get to it chief.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  8. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Second that use Virtual Box. It's easy to use and should do what you want.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011