Need Suggestion MCAD or MCSD ?

Discussion in 'MCAD / MCSD / MCPD' started by simplyk3, Jan 15, 2009.

1. simplyk3

simplyk3 New Member

Hello Everyone,

I have been working for a software company from past 4-5 months on .NET and this is my first job. Now I am planning to take microsoft certification.

1) I am wondering which certification I had to start with ( MCAD or MCSD)?

2) From there site i came to know MCAD is a subset of MCSD and I would like to know if I take MCAD can I upgrade that to MCSD by taking any further exams?

3) I knew exams are going to retire in March 2009 in that case is the entire syllabus is going to change? If I had to start preparing for MCAD or MCSD what I had to start preparing now?

I appreciate your help!!!!

Cheers
    KK

2. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

They're phasing out the MCAD/MCSD designation. Now, the programmer certs are moving to the MCTS/MCPD format. Unless you think you could pass all of the exams required to be an MCSD by March, I'd suggest starting towards the MCTS/MCPD certifications.

To answer your question about the MCAD/MCSD, you will receive the MCAD before you can get the MCSD. The MCAD is basically a stepping stone towards the MCSD.

If you want to give the MCAD/MCSD exams a shot, I'd recommend grabbing a book first. I'd probably pick up the MS Press books, although only because they're the best of what's out there (which isn't much). I'd also recommend picking up the Transcender products for the MCAD/MCSD exams. Although they are a competitor of my current employer, I used to work at Transcender and I was the product manager for those products, so I can vouch for them. Unfortunately, we at Boson don't have any near-term plans for writing any programming products, so we can't help you there.

Good luck!

3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Neither, unless you're a bloody fast learner!

:eek:

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. BosonJosh

I'm going to have to follow up on my last post and say that given your experience level, certification may not be the best path to take right now. The programmer certifications are not meant to be taken by beginners. You can go ahead and start preparing for them, but you'll have a much better shot at passing the exams when you have a year or more of experience under your belt programming in .Net.

5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Good point.
    Try picking a language or application and start from there.
    Do a C++ course or something and see if programming is your thing.
    It works for some, but not for others.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. simplyk3

simplyk3 New Member

Hey thnx Guys

I donn have any plans to take exam before March and as Jonny said I am not a **Bloody fast learner** .... I am not aiming for the exam in the coming months but just wanted to start preparing for them so that I can get insights into all the concepts associated with .NET and once I gain experience I would go for an exam.

It sounds to me from your reply that if I have to aim for a Microsoft certification I should look for MCTS/MCPD from now on. did i get that right?

In that case could you guys suggest what exams to look in MCTS/MCPD? As i said earlier I would be working more with .NET 2.0 and 3.5 in coming days.

Cheers
    KK

7. BosonJosh

8. simplyk3

simplyk3 New Member

Thats Gr8.. I will look into that.

I appreciate your help.

Cheers
    KK