Need some advice on what to do next

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Dood1227, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Dood1227

Dood1227 New Member

So currently I am on a level 3 year one btech course and I'm fast tracking to a level 4 hnc.

I currently don't know what i should do once i have Finnished my level 4 course, there's no real area of I.T that i am exstreamly interested in.
    I was thinking of working towards being 3rd line support.

So my question is what advice / recommenations would you guys give me on what i should do next ?

2. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Sounds like you are still in academic education? I would advise you go to university; had you been a 25 year old asking this question I would have pointed you to vendor certs.

3. Dood1227

Dood1227 New Member

Yes I'm currently 19 and once i Finnish my hnc next year i will be 20.

My plan is to be starting working next year with the qufications i have but i don't know what paths i should take yet.

4. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Kilobyte Poster

The only options available to you are helpdesk/desktop support. I've heard of people getting into NOC positions with no experience but it's probably very unlikely. You won't be able to go straight into a 3rd line support job, they require experience at 1st/2nd line.

Best thing to do is just get an entry level job and learn as much as you can, you'll soon become drawn to a particular area when you learn more about them.

5. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Ok fair enough, I think what will help you dramatically is getting a industry qualification like the A+ combined with your HNC. Eitherway you will want to look for helpdesk support roles and stick with it for a year or two before moving on, you wont jump from college straight into 3rd line support thats unrealistic.

6. Dood1227

Dood1227 New Member

Of course i understand that i will have to work my way up from 1/2 line. Should i just invest in the A+ or should i also look into the other comp Tia certifications aswell as the A+ ?

7. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

At this stage I would highly advise you dont' over certify, certs are intended to prove experience however there are a few that are worth getting as a beginner. I think your HNC and A+ would be sufficient enough to land a helpdesk role. I got into helpdesk with just an MTA I don't even have my A+ though i do plan to get it. I am currently studying the MTA Networking fundamentals then after that I will go for the Server fundamentals. In your shoes my agenda would look like this:

HNC
    MTA Windows Server Administration Fundamentals
    CompTIA A+

I think this combination is a decent mix, most helpdesk jobs require some Active Directory tasks even if it's just reseting a password in the local AD. Windows Server fundamentals will bring you up to speed on that and teach you the fundamentals of Windows Server, what I like about the MTAs isit assumes no prior knowledge. As I have been working in helpdesk for over a year I do feel more confident when studying for exams, before I worked in helpdesk I would study for certain exams and giveup as it just didn't make sense to me, now I read these books and can relate based on experience. If you require any study resources let me know I have alot of good stuff to share.