need help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pj, Oct 3, 2007.

1. pj

pj Bit Poster

I cant currently use my disk drive and cant figure out whats wrong please help. I stupidly left a disk in my laptop and after i took it out the thing will not play cd's, games or generally any cd. I tried a dvd and it played on power cinema but not with medai player. A cd seems as though it's tryong to read and then stops. Device manager saya that there is no probs and I am stuck

Any ideas

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+ CCNA
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi,

Leaving a disc in the drive shouldn't cause it to fail!

Have you installed any new programs? What make and model drive do you have? Does the drive still appear in the BIOS and my computer?

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. pj

pj Bit Poster

I installed a game but that was a few days before this happened. The cd/dvd is a slimtype dvdrw sosw-8335.
    It still shows up in my computer but will only play dvds. not sure about bios

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+ CCNA
  4. Colin1

Colin1 Byte Poster

Try searching for new drivers or re-install the previous drivers. That is a common fix for dodgy hardware especially on laptops.

C :biggrin

Certifications: Cisco IT Essentials,
    WIP: IT degree, CIW (Web), A+, N+
  5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Er - under Windows a DVD or CD drive doesn't need special drivers - they are built in!

It is unusual to be able to play DVDs but not CDs, it is usualy the other way about!

It does sound as if the hardware has failed in some way - but I suspect it may be a coincidence that this was the same time as a disk was left in the drive. Most laptops I've seen cope with this with no problems.

A quick google shows quite a few people complaining about hardware failures on this model. :ohmy

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Having looked further - is this is the Liteon unit? And is it external?

If so then there could well be special drivers as the units I've been seeing are USB.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. brian5001

brian5001 New Member

I am also using a sosw-8335 dvd drive. It will recognize only the boot disc and dvd's. I t will not recognize audio or other data discs. Anyone know what is wrong. What was the solution to the previous post?

Thanks

8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Just out of interest is it not working even when you double click on the drive?

I had a program that stopped the auto play feature, then I disabled it permanetly as someone (sorry can't remember who) posted a topic about a virus which could infiltrate the pc using the autoplay feature.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?