Need help with router!

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by CliffG, Jun 19, 2006.

1. CliffG

CliffG Nibble Poster

Hiya Folks,

I currently have a Linksys WAG354G Wireless router, which worked a treat when I had BT Broadband.. (as it should, it's an ADSL Router).

However, now i've switched over to NTL, and have a cable modem.
    From everything i've read so far (and that's not too much tbh), my router is incompatible with cable modems...

Fair enough, but i'm struggling to believe that.. after all, it's suppose to be a router at the end of the day.. I just don't need the connection it provides to an ADSL Line. But I would like the wireless routing capabilities it should provide to hook up each of my machines and my modem..

This is how far i'm got:
    Cable box --> Cable Modem ---> Cat5e --> WAG354G --> Cat5e --> NIC (So far, all wired, and i'm happy to keep it that way, but now want to connect my laptop wirelessly to my main desktop and internet access).

I can sort of see the problem, in that when doing an ip config, I get 86.3.xx.xx when I can connect fine to the internet..
    However, I cannot connect to the router's admin portal properly (used to be by going 168.192.1.1).
    If I disconnect the cat5e between the cable model and the router, then do an ipconfig /release /renew, then it switches to 168.192.1.64 - but when i plug the cat5e back in, i have no internet access.

My router is still broadcasting it's ssid (to help set up my wireless access from my laptop), but i get no connectivity to internet or my desktop from my laptop.

Ideally, what I'll want is some idea how to configure it so that it can accomodate the cable modem and work together with it..

One guy at work mentioned about possibly writing new firmware (unoffical versions) to it, but i'm not sure, and no idea where to get something that i know will work..

Any of you folks got any ideas, how i can set this up, or do i have to bite the bullet, get a new wireless router (with no adsl functionallity) and bin this (practically new) adsl thing???

Any help would be appreciated?

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

This was discussed only last week. I'll do a search for it later.

The basic thing is that with this (and most) ADSL router you cannot get at the WAN interface for the router where it connects to the ADSL modem. It is one piece.

And that is what you need to do for a cable setup.

The reason it works in your single PC environment is that you are just using the hub/switch part - not the router, so it is the same (nearly) as if you connected direct to the cable modem.

Yes - you could rewrite the firmware, but as you still would have no access to the join between the ADSL modem and the router it wouldn't get you far!

Note that a cable router with WiFi costs about £35 these days, so not so painful!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

The thread that included this point is this one although I didn't go into it very deeply!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. CliffG

CliffG Nibble Poster

Cheers Harry, thanks for the reply..

Guess i'll have to bite the bullet now.. oh well, lol

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+