need help with MCSA.

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by 1Q2W3E, Mar 11, 2010.

1. 1Q2W3E

1Q2W3E Bit Poster

Hi,

I have recently applied for a job, to become MCSA employee for an office.

Basically when I went for the interview on 2nd of Feb, they said that I need to complete the MCSA training which they will provide me the material from Microsoft and pass 4 exams.

From 2nd of Feb i have started my training, but the problem is that they have given me 3 month to complete 6 modules which, 4 of them are based on exam as follows:

Course 2274: Managing a Microsoft® Windows Server™ 2003 Environment

Course 2277: Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining a Microsoft® Windows Server™ 2003 Network Infrastructure: Network Services

Course 2285: Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional Service Pack 2

Course 284: Implementing and Managing Microsoft Exchange Server 2003

I have read them all once and when I had a look at the MCSA questions I couldn't answer them.

My question is that, is 3 month enought to pass all the exams and are the materials from Microsoft good enought or I need to go through the book as well.

I would appriciate If you could help

Thank you

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
    Certifications: Degree
    WIP: MCSA
  2. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Nope, not realistic

you should be working with the technologies for at least 18 months before even looking at a MCSA. The practise exam questions should be familiar before study.

Do you have a MCDST? A+ and N+?

PS i wouldn't use your email address as your nick ... spam heaven :oops:
    (noobish mistake to be honest)

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  3. 1Q2W3E

1Q2W3E Bit Poster

No I don't have MCDST A+ or N+.

The thing is I made a mistake by paying them £250, which they Guaranteed me to give the job upon completeion of the training within 3 month.

What do I need to do now? any suggestion?

I have tried to change my username and it seems to be impossible, do i need to open a new account.

Thank You

4. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

You could ask SimonV to change your username for you.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
    Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  5. supernova

Sorry to say this but it sounds like you may have fallen for the oldest trick in the book.

What type of contract do you have with them?
    Whats the name of the company?

6. supernova

Yeah any of the admins will change your username for you (or get it changed). If you ask them nicely via a PM

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
  7. 1Q2W3E

1Q2W3E Bit Poster

This is an academy program scheme to become an IT Technician and in the contract it says that " if the Company fails to Guarantee me employment within 90 working days upon completion of required certification (MCSA), I will be entitled to a FULL REFUND of my fees". I will be required to complete my MCSA certification through the Company within 3 months of my training start date to activate my employment scheme , if MCSA certification is not completed within 3 months of start date refund offer and job Guarantee will be invalid/void.

I have also signed the contract.

I'm going to see them on Monday.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  8. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I'm afraid I agree. You have fallen for the whiles of a Training Provider.

No employer will tell you that in order to have a job with them, you have to agree to pay out of your own money for training. They will either expect you to already have the training, or they will be willing to get you trained at their cost.

I promise you that there will be all manner of subclauses hidden in the contract that permits them to void the so called guarantee. They arent interested in giving you a job, merely in holding you upside down, shaking, and taking all the money that comes out.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  9. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I can guarantee you that there is life elsewhere in the universe.
    In fact, I'll bet you a million-billion dollars.

Now what?

8)

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  10. supernova

Dynamics IT are known to this forum I suggest you look, Elhaj used them

http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread32736.html

They used to be the "James Thornton Group" a suggest you do a search on the forums

I in fact posted a warning about them a few week ago after seeing them spam job sites....

http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread38513.html

If you had loads of experience and you studied fulltime this time scale would be pushing it.
    I take about about 3 months per exam. I dont know about going straight into a MCSA, but using the MCDST as electives thats about 5 exams in total eg 271,272,270,290,291 at an average of just over 2 weeks each :(.

11. supernova

I would get your money back if you can, or do the MCDST and put it down to one of life's mistakes.

Sounds to me that they don't get many people completing on time so don't have to worry about finding them jobs.

12. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

The chances of completing all them in 3 months is very slim and cause you havent completed them in that time means you are no longer entitled to a refund or job. They have probably just made £250, but on the brightside you never got tanned for thousands.

Put it down to a learning expierence and start off with the getting the MCDST books or maybe the A+(guys could he do the 270 straight off or is it a bit more advanced than the MCDST)?

Do you have any IT expierence at all and what salary were they offering and just say that you are going to contact the papers about them, might not do anything but you will feel better.

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  13. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

270 requires knowledge of xp Admin in a domain environment. More Admin whereas the MCDST is troubleshooting type stuff. Whether its harder or not depends

3 months to do the MCSA though :eek: the 291 took me a lifetime. I never really read the training provider complaint threads that pop up but if this is there tactic then I'm utterly appalled

My sympathies

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  14. supernova

The 270 is a very broad exam it covers a lot of areas, by doing the MCDST first it breaks it down to be more manageable. The 270 also requires additional admin experience.

MCDST is entry level so will help on CV, however, i would still recommend doing the A+ and N+ before the MCDST.

A MCSA with no experience, as in actual admin jobs, on a CV is pretty useless.

15. 1Q2W3E

1Q2W3E Bit Poster

Thank you very much for your information.

I just wanted to say that, where do I need to start if I want to become a MCSA/MCSE. I want to work in this field and don't know where to start.

even thou if I get the certificate! will I be able to get a job with no experience, and how can I get into some practical work (rather than just theory) on my own time.

Thank you.

16. supernova

Aim for A+, N+ and MCDST

Apply for entry-level jobs and trainee these tend to be 1st line support / helpdesk

If you get a MCSA, without experience, i.e. jobs, your not going to get a job at the level without starting at the bottom eg 1st line. With entry level jobs a MCSA may actually make it more difficult to get a position. you could leave it off you CV until the time is right, however, you might as well spend the time on qualifications that help in the present.

17. sakuraba1982

sakuraba1982 Nibble Poster

I feel your pain mate........but look at the bright side I got conned out of 3400 pounds back in 2003 before i knew better going with skills train to become MCSE.

I ended up buying all my own books from ebay (Mike myers and exam cram) as the material is so poor + out of date with training providers, and the promise of a job is a joke.

A few years later i have my MCSA , A+ and N+ and after working as a 1st line for a couple of years i'm now second line with some 3rd line thrown in for good measure.

But I only really made headway with my microsoft certs when I was working in a commercial server client enviroment supporting users. You really need to start of with something like the A+ as this is basic troubleshooting and a good all around cert (Also much more interesting than the microsoft stuff until you can grasp the concepts).

Get your applications in for 1st line positions everywhere they are mostly interested in a willingness to learn and being keen and if you can show this then you have a good chance.

The bottom line is mate is that there is no quick fix way to get into IT you start down the bottom and climb, you can really do alot of damage if you don't know what you are doing!!!

Good luck mate!!!

Certifications: A+ N+ MCSA 2003
  18. Jonny70

Jonny70 Bit Poster

Sorry to say that it does sound like you've fallen victim to a training scam. What does the 250 cover? If you decide to try your hand at the certification on your own you could look into doing self study or taking a course. Right now is a good time to try b/c microsoft is running a promotion that allows you to re-take the exam if you don't pass the first time. Good luck on everything!