Need Help with Group Policy > Screensaver Policy to Machines not users?

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Colloghi, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

We currently have a GPO set across our domain, that initiates the screensaver/locks the computer after 15 Minutes for all users.. As always we have had a few grumbles and we need to change the timeout period til 90 mins, but the setting needs to apply only to 3 Specfic Machines, not users.

Its the computers it needs applying to, as when the users are accessing the system elsewhere, its fine for the screensavers to initiate after only 15 mins.

I dont really know much about GPO, and I think this proves that I do need to start getting properly into this:P...........soooo im a little confused with how to go about this. The way Im suggesting may not even be possible technically:|

I had it in my head, I would do this

Create new OU - add these specific PCS into OU > create new GPO > and then Apply GPO to OU > the OU settings I created would overide the conflicting domain GPO and yeah its all good!

However a checking on the net has baffled me somewhat with the talk Of "loopback", filtering and such and Im really not sure what approach would be the best.......

Im also slightly confused about the loopback feature - would that be something that needs the approah of configuing a local GPO on each machine, and then applying the loopback feature to loop-back as such to the local GPO?

Were using Server 2008 btw:) which was nice when I was trying to create a new GPO by right clicking on the OU and thinking, where the hell has the GPO tab gone:|

Any help would be great and I apologise if ive missed anything out:|

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
    Certifications: A+, MCP 270, 271, MCDST
    WIP: 290
  2. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Actually I think I may have got this now...

Create new OU - add these specific PCS into OU > create new GPO > and then Apply GPO to OU for the computers

Enable the Loopback Policy and select MERGE

User Logs In to computer > User GPO Settings Applied - Then as Loopback has been enabled with Merge - The GPO Settings ive specified for the Computer OU are applied and overide any conflicting settings between the two.

I think thats it:)

Certifications: A+, MCP 270, 271, MCDST
    WIP: 290