Need Help With Entry Level IT Resume

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Professor-Falken, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Professor-Falken

Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

Can someone give me help creating an entry level IT resume.
    Would it help to if I upload a copy of my current resume.I have no IT experience and my previous jobs were not IT related.
    I am working on my resume now but I want to speed up the process.

Thanks

Professor Falken

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +
  2. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

Yeah post it up Professor, did you pass your A+ yet ?

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: CCA
  3. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

keep it short and simple. I read through the 'writting the killer' cv thread and wrote mine from that.

I have 5 lines intro on me. I'm keen to break into the it field. i am A+ certified and I am working towards the Network+

transferable skills from current job eg, eye for detail can work well as part of a team, attention to detail yadda yadda

education (in my case a few GCSEs, a city and guilds in word processing, power point and A+ cert) not much.

employment history.

thats it.

short and sweet, don't write anything on there that may cause you to stumble when asked about it in an interview.

so far its worked for me, I have had one interview a few weeks back, had one today and just arrived back home to find I have another next tuesday.

I asked my interviewer today if my cv had all the info he needed on it, he said yes its good because its short and to the point.

remember its for entry level IT jobs, they dont care if your an expert with sheet metal or a whiz in the kitchen! keet it simple.

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

When I was in your shoes, I added *everything* I could think of on my resume that was IT related. My first "job" was a class project. We wired a new classroom for Ethernet, installed a router and a switch, hooked up all the classroom PCs and enabled them to dynamically accept IP info. Sure, I didn't get paid for it, but I (and the rest of the class) did the work.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. Professor-Falken

Yes, I passed my A+! How do I post y resume or how do I attach my resume as a Microsoft Word file.

6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Yes. That would be fine. Just make sure to remove any personally identifying info. You don't want to be the victim of identity theft or spamming.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Best to have an opening statement stating that you are A+ certified and want to break into the IT industry. Are you studying for any other certs just now? If so mention that as well.

As far as employment history goes keep it brief and highlight any skills that would help in an entry level IT role. This can be any customer facing jobs you may have had as many IT support jobs require you to talk to end users, and be polite!

Please don’t put the classic “I fix PCs for family and friends” on your CV. I have seen this loads of times on CVs and it is starting to get slightly tiring. The last CV I read had some guy raving about “Excellent networking skills” but when I read on he had only set up a wireless router for his mate! Don’t think that would help when setting up some VLANs on a Cisco box! :biggrin

Best of luck with the CV and the job search :thumbleft

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. Professor-Falken

Can someone help me with my resume? I am getting help from a book and I want to post it here so you can tell me what you think
    what to add to what take out. Some cover letters I could use.

Also could you give me some ideas of what type of jobs should I be looking for also what keywords should I be using in my job searches. Also I purchased a Network + course that I intend to complete once I begin working what do you think should I add this information to my resume and how.

Thanks again.
    Professor Falken

Attached Files:

9. thetokyoproject

thetokyoproject Byte Poster

hello prof,

i note you are fluent in spanish - here in the uk, an ex-colleague of mine who worked on a help desk that required a second language was making between £15 - £18 per hour. that will be a big plus for you since i noticed that companies like amex have multi lingual helpdesk staff here.

good luck mate - sorry i can;t advise on the cv since i'm no expert in that area at all so don;t want to be giving the wrong advice...

Certifications: 271
  10. VantageIsle

erm, Prof.....

Get your name and addy ect,off that cv pronto unless you want a tidel wave of spam, or some con artist try something on you or worse.

11. VantageIsle

how about something like this at the start:

Enthusiastic and hardworking, bi lingual individual seeks employment in an IT based role. Recently CompTIA A+ certified and currently enrolled on a Network+ course Jose is determined to bring value for money to his next employer.

12. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Short and to the point.

Might help to put your age on the CV as you have little work experience. If someone has just graduated college\uni then fair enough if they dont list too many jobs on their CV.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  13. VantageIsle

really mate, the best advice I can give is grab a pen and paper and read through THIS thread. Thats what I did and just Tailored it to me. best of luck, and dont forget to remove your personal details off this website :)

14. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Like what vantageIsle said I could send you loads span n shite if I wanted but I wont cos I am nice :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  15. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

You might want to elaborate more on your objective. Whats your goal, what you would like to attain, etc.

Also include things like hobbies. What is it that you like doing after work. Playing sports, reading, camping, socializing, etc.

Example; one very important skill to have is a social skill, meaning you can intract well with others which is a huge thing in IT.

These are just some example that I would add.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  16. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Sparky,

Be advised that over on this side of the pond, by law, employers are not allowed to discriminate on the basis of age. Therefore, let them comply with the law by NOT mentioning your age. At the same time, don't give them informational ammunition that they can use against you. If you disclose your age, then they may want to use it against you, so to comply with the law, they might find some other stupid excuse other than age or age related to not offer a job to him. In the bad case scenario, they may intensify their search for more "young and naive" employees.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  17. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I was told that by my teachers before too, ever since then I stopped disclosing my age, date of birth, etc.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
  18. Professor-Falken

I like this idea but I don't know about, Jose is determined to bring value for money to his next employer. I like the idea but I think it is phrased wrong. Maybe you can give me another idea on how to phrase this this last line.

Should it read: I am determined to bring value for money to my next employer.

19. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

An addition to what has been said, how about something like "an important asset to any organization"

20. Professor-Falken

Should I replace the REFERENCES section with HOBBIES?
    What information should the REFERENCES section have.
    Remember I am trying to create an entry level IT resume.

Also what do you think? I know a little of Excel, Word and I took passed those classes a while back and I use these programs
    often should I list them on my resume.