Need Advice !!

Discussion in 'Scripting & Programming' started by LedZeppelin42271, Sep 1, 2007.

1. LedZeppelin42271

LedZeppelin42271 New Member

Alright chaps registered onto this website, im studying for the MCDST and looking to go into programming afterwards.
    Can anyone in here give me any times on what kind of skills u need to be a good programmer and also what language should i start on, im thinking visual basic ?

8)

Certifications: Studying for MCDST
    WIP: Programming
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Not sure about what you mean by times. VB is one possible route, but reckon on about a year to become profficient enough to be useful.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. jodsclass

jodsclass Byte Poster

This is probably an old thread now, but I feel I have a few observations.

1. If you want to get into programming, what do you want to program? From experience, if your wanting to get into web based stuff, look down the java, javascript, .NET & Perl route. If your thinking about creating software, then again .NET, C++, VB etc will give you a good grounding ins oftware dev.

To be a good programmer, you need patience, a good eye for detail and a logical approach to a task. In essence you need to be able to see the whole system, so you can construct the parts. A bad programmer is someone who doesn't plan or think and just starts coding & hacking to get the desired result. Well thought out code is far less buggy, and is alot lighter in terms of code size.

Also remember, programming can rely heavily on Syntax & Mathematics, so if you excel in these areas you will go far. Anyone can program an app given enough time and reading. I'd recommending getting hold of a copy of visual studio (can prob get a trial copy) and just having a play. Make all those Hello World proggies we have all be lumbured with as novices :)

Certifications: BSc IT & Web Development
    WIP: MSc Advanced Computing, Oracle Cert
  4. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Dam, some good advice there!!:rocks

Was going to write something similiar but jodsclass beat me to it! :biggrin :p

All can say now is ...yeah what he said!!:p :biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  5. jodsclass

jodsclass Byte Poster

hehe, Great Minds and all that eh :P

Just seemed relevant since I've spent the whole day doing Object Orientated Java programming in notepad, eew

Certifications: BSc IT & Web Development
    WIP: MSc Advanced Computing, Oracle Cert
  6. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

This question has been asked and answeed so many times before.

Just to expand on what Jobsclass said, it is important to realise the intricacies of the statements made. Syntax and Semantics are the foundations of every area of programming - with the syntax being the structure of the language or its grammar, and the semantics being the meanings of particular statements and expressions. A way to view it is that if you break the syntactic rules you will generate errors in your code, and if you break the intended semantics you will be presented with warnings and/or code behaving unexpectedly.

On the mathematics front, the programmer should have a very good grasp of discrete mathematics. This is the field that departs from the continuous mathematics that you learn in school in the sense that you deal with whole parts (values that have no fractional component). Study logic and proof, as well as set theory and number theory.

I present these guideline if you wish to become a very, very strong programmer with excellent problem-solving skill. :)

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.