Need advice from any senior IT worker or someone

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by sendalot, Dec 4, 2012.

1. sendalot

sendalot Nibble Poster

Hello,

I am about to start a "Master's" degree in "Network Engineering." It is a 2-years full-time with no-thesis option(as long as I maintain 3.2 GPA).

The university is a CCNA academy. But it is a private and costs a lot.

I have a question.
    Is this Master's worth it? Or shall I just focus on getting certified instead of a graduate degree?

I don't want to invest on anything that doesn't bring returns.
    Thanks.

Certifications: Many
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

There is no fixed answer to this question, as it really depends on a wide variety of things.

Some will think that a Master's is worth it, while others don't even think that a Bachelor's is worth it.
    Some will think that certifications are worth it, while others couldn't give a toss.

Some, like me, think that having/going for both is the right path to take (I've got quite a few certifications and my BSc, currently studying for my Masters). However for others the oposite is the right path.

The next level of my career ladder, some of the jobs either list a Masters level qualification as a requirement or as desirable. However...

Will I 100% need a Masters? Don't know. Will I take the next step on the career ladder, above IT Manager? Again, I don't know.

Do I want my Masters? Yes, provided that the opportunity is there for me to gain it.

So it really boils down to you. What do you want? Where do you see yourself in X amount of years? Can you afford it?

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. sendalot

sendalot Nibble Poster

What are you getting your Master's in? if I may ask?

I want a degree or something that makes me highly desirable in the job market. Both short and long-term.

4. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

I don't know your situation, but you know you generally have to get a degree (Bachelor) before doing a Masters Degree (unless you do it like my Master's, where I ok at A-Level that I got accepted onto a 4 year master's straight from high school - which is effectively a 3 year bachelor, and then an extra year for the Master)

edit: scratch all that, I didn't read your first post properly ... you are beginning the M.S.

From my experience, it looks good on paper, and it effectively shows that you can work and reason at that high a level, but I don't think I have used anything that I learnt from either Master's degree in the real world (I don't think I have learnt anything from my degree, in all honesty.) Some people will argue differently, but that's my experience of it.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

It was originally the MSc Computing for Commerce and Industry, however I'll be changing to the MSc in Technology Management.

Ok, in what field?

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. sendalot

sendalot Nibble Poster

Preferably non-management role in network security or administrator.

Would be nice to work for a big company to handle network.

Thanks.

7. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

I have no certifications or degrees, I currently work for a massive multinational company that all here will know as a Network support engineer. So you don't need such things, however i'm sure it would make getting into such an area much easier.

If you keep your head down though, work hard and learn as much as you can, then you will find opportunities I have no doubt! You just need to decide which is the best approach for you. No one can really advise on your original question as there are a lot of variables etc within a person that would make a difference.

Just my 2 cents worth anyway! :)

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  8. BraderzTheDog

BraderzTheDog Kilobyte Poster

I agree with Coupe2T,

I was in a very similar position to yourself. If your going for a degree that offers a CCNA at the end then great, but I will assure you having a CCNA doesn't land jobs at your feet... Yes it helps to prove you have the skills you say on paper but a prime example above me is someone who got into network and worked his way up. (He probably knows more than most CCNA's)

I would say vendor qualifications are more valuable than a degree, I am proof of this... There are roughly 10 guys where I work. 8 of them have a degree and 2 of us don't. It hasn't hindered me in any way career wise or from job hunting not having this.

If anything I've avoided uni debt, I have cash in my pocket and I also have a qualifications in my area. The only thing I look to have missed out on is the endless parties :) (Which I still do anyway!)

Its a touch choice no right or wrong answer, I would say with how much uni's charge at the moment don't bother unless you want to have the university life / experience

Regards,
    Brad.

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA-SEC, CCSA, JNCIA FWV, MCITP, MCTS, MTA, A+