Need a suggestions of a good tool to delete cookies and internet history

Discussion in 'Software' started by detin, Jul 19, 2007.

1. detin

detin New Member

Hello,

I need to take my computer to a computer repair shop for an upgrade, and I want to erase all sensitive information on it, such as cookies, internet history, some office documents, and other things. I created a few CDs with the documents that I need ( inluding my personal photos and emails ) and now I want to erase the other files without formating the drive.
    :D

2. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

You can either do them manually or use a software, if you want the software just type something like "internet cleaner" in google and there are loads out there, install, clean and then uninstall simple.... so can i see some of does pics then? :twisted: :twisted:

3. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

There is an option in your browser to do this, no other software needed.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  4. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

Certifications: A+, N+, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, Linux+
  5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

IE is well known *not* to wipe stuff when you ask it to. So you *need* other tools to do this.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Like pr0n. :twisted:

Erase everything you don't want someone to see, then cipher /w the drive.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. shambles

shambles Guest

As suggested above. I use ccleaner for general tidying (never had a problem with it in 18 months) and PGP to do a free-space wipe if I feel especially paranoid about what I have been up to...

These get rid of the internet and cookies index.dat files, which must have some purpose other than just keeping tabs on you...?

9. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Or, post what is wrong with your computer and we can try to help *you* repair it!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  10. detin

detin New Member

11. nightraven

nightraven Guest

Windows XP Professional and Windows Vista already have a tool to meet your needs; cipher.exe

Delete the material you want to get rid of and then open a command line window [start >> run >> cmd]

Now type the following:

cipher /w:c:\

This will write over every block of free space on your HDD [it does so three times so it can take a while].

You'd be hard pressed to recover any information afterwards.

More information can be found here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/298009