NAT

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by Ally, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Ally

Ally Byte Poster

Jus a small problem that confuses me. I understand how to set up NAT on server 2003. Need a public and private interface, add NAT to the public interface, configure it as the public interface, ensure nat clients on same subnet have the NAT computers private interface as their default gateway etc.
    This is fine. however, i read in the MS press book that you should enable it on the private interface too. I know their is an option to configure this as the private interface but i dont understand why you have to do this. Could someone please tell me if you must always apply NAT to both the private and public interfaces and tell me what situations you should apply it to both or not, pleeeeease !!

Thanks

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, 70-291 & 70-294
    WIP: 70-293
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I think that you should always apply it to the internal interface, just so that any inbound traffic knows where to go?

Alternatively it could be done if you have a webserver sat in a DMZ.

Not the most technical of answers I know but I'll look further into it when I've time.

8)

3. Ally

Ally Byte Poster

Appreciated :D

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, 70-291 & 70-294
    WIP: 70-293