Naming your domain

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by simongrahamuk, Apr 22, 2006.

1. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Hi guys,

Heres a useful fact that I never knew about how you name your internal domain.

If you want Mac OS X clients to be able to connect to your Windows Domain you should avoid naming your domain with the .local extention as it apparently conflicts with the Mac OS X Rendezvous automatic network configuration standard.

Any one able to offer any more info on this? just read it in a book.

:ohmy

2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Can I just show my extreme ignorance and ask why is it one uses the .local extension anyway ? I have seen this a few times, and never fully understood it. Hopefully someone will explain it simply enough for me to comprehend :oops:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

If you have a registered domain of .com that you use for your Internet presence it makes good practice to not confuse your LAN with your Internet Domain, especially if you host the website yourself (can lead to problems). Hence why you would use .local (or simillar for your LAN) and .com for the internet.

8)

EDIT: Alternatively you could simply call your LAN something completely different altogether.

4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Thanks, Si - that's what I originally understood. I think I mucked mine up due to DNS issues, hence my subsequent confusion.

Cheers :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity