Nagra 3 encryption - VM dodgy boxes

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by j1mgg, Mar 10, 2010.

1. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sco...loaders-as-chippped-TV-boxes-are-cut-off.html

This was in the paper today saying how there new encryption will stop all boxes and yada yada yada.

Just wondering what the thoughts are on here about it and if you think it will be beaten in the future as Sky seem to have it sussed.

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  2. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

To chuck in an outsider (from the UK) POV, dish piracy in Grand Cayman is RAMPANT. So many folk over there use Viewsat, nFusion boxes etc to freeload Dish Network it beggars belief. That said the country has no copyright laws so it's not like they are doing anything illegal there.

Recently a lot of folk lost their channels because of Nagra3. The used market was flooded with redundant boxes. Now though it seems nFusion have a new line of boxes out that tackle Nagra3 and folk are wising up and getting their channels back.

It's ironic really because the two legit companies on the island are Dish Network and Weststar. Westar provides 'freeview-esque' boxes for viewing (they are ancient and rubbish, trust me, we have one at home). All Weststar does is use the Dish Network signal then resell it for a premium to locals! Plus on top of that they throw in their own local ads from advertisers during commericals but also sometimes at totally random intervals during TV shows!

Talk about a kick in the teeth! No wonder dish piracy is so rampant in Cayman!

Anyway, to get back on topic I 'think' Nagra3 at least for the most part has been beaten. I don't know that much about dish piracy though, not really my thing. Plus I hate TV anyway so... :rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
    Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  3. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  4. j33rablade

j33rablade Bit Poster

I think Nagra3 will be cracked with a little help from the inside. I don't think Virgin Media can compete with Sky or BT on a level playing ground and all those that were with Virgin because of this 'fringe benefit' will move to another provider. Would Virgin Media be willing to loose a little to gain a little?

Certifications: CCNA MCP
    WIP: MCSE