N+ Then what next,not being in the I.T industry.your help would be much needed.

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Georgiesickjitz, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Georgiesickjitz

Georgiesickjitz Byte Poster

Hi all,I am sure you hear this topic lots, but here it is again.im currently a carpenter{so not in the I.T industry yet....}This year after completeing the A+, i then went on to study towards the n+,im not far away from taking my exam. As im sure you can all relate to,im constantly looking out for my next project. I would love to do the CCNA,but think this might deter employers. So in all your very welcoming opinions,should I go with a lower cert.Im loving the idea of eventually getting into sercurity,so the sercurity+ is an option. Also a massive draw to me is the ethical hacking. At the moment iv home studied both of my subjects,silly question/or not would the ethical hacking be a possible home studier.The polls are open ,and thanks for reading.

Certifications: CompTIA A+,CompTIA Network
    WIP: CCNA
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You can get the MCDST for XP or MCTS/MCITP client admin certs for Vista and/or Windows 7, but I think you'd be better off focusing your efforts on trying to find IT opportunities, whether paid or volunteer.

IT security isn't something that someone new to IT just jumps right into. If you think that the CCNA would be a turn-off to entry-level employers, increase the factor tenfold for ethical hacking. Speaking from the employers' point of view, the last thing I'd want to set loose on my network is an inexperienced tech who (thinks he) knows how to hack, despite whatever good intentions you may have.

It sounds like you're trying to jump to the middle (or the top! :blink) of the IT career ladder instead of putting your foot solidly on the first rung. Take your time and do things in the right order. After all, you don't build the roof of your house before you build a strong foundation.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Georgiesickjitz

excellent,honestly this is the sort of advice i need. To some one with the career experiences you must have micheal, my question must seem like common sence.My idea in regards to ethical hacking was to get a good understanding of a hacker.Your point

"IT security isn't something that someone new to IT just jumps right into. If you think that the CCNA would be a turn-off to entry-level employers, increase the factor tenfold for ethical hacking. Speaking from the employers' point of view, the last thing I'd want to set loose on my network is an inexperienced tech who (thinks he) knows how to hack, despite whatever good intentions you may have."

Makes total sense.A hacker wanna be.

So Im hopeing to be n+ certified just after christmas. I am applying for several jobs at entry level every day. So iam physically doing all I can.Some one sugessted do some volutary work,this is another step that can help my career.

Im not sure about a microsoft cert,and actually to be quite honest I havnt even looked in to it.So maybe I will tonight. I guess i thought Network network network.

Thankyou Micheal much appreciated

4. sidimmu

sidimmu Bit Poster

go for the windows 7 MCTS/MCITP, the MCDST is due to end soon which is lame considering i started it a month ago lol

btw loving the flying triangle in your display pic :D

5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

George, I am pretty sure I said the other day that entry level certs are A+,N+ and MCDST you should be going for the MCDST after the N+ or go for the MCTS windows 7.

Since the MCDST retirement date has been extended you should go for the MCDST. You will find that whilst compTIA A+ and N+ are good starting certs they are not as reconised in the UK as Microsoft certs.

The MCDST is the next logical step and the A+ and N+ prepare you for such a cert after that only the MCTS is there as the other certs are too advanced for your experience level.

You are correct in saying that you shouldn't do the CCNA you should only do this once you are actually working with CISCO kit.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. Georgiesickjitz

thanks simmu,ill take a look at the ms certs,much appreciated.The pic is actually Rampage jackson vs Forest griffin.Its an attempted flying triangle,but Rampage{B.A barackas} slams him lol.Gb ,no you didnt say about a microsoft cert,but thanks for the input.ok cool.I still get really excited about studying something new.:biggrin

Thanks guys,im learning every day coming on to this forum. I hope one day my questions will help other.

7. sidimmu

sidimmu Bit Poster

yeah i know mate, ive been a keen follower for a good few years now, know a bit of bjj and that my self :)
    cant beat rampages slam in pride against arona tbh.

green brucelee, im currently studying an mcdst myself and then on to the following courses in my other thread, would it be a good idea to once ive finished these to go back and do the N+ since i want to move into networks in my future career.

8. Georgiesickjitz

sorry dude i misspelled your name.yer if you want to be a hard core fan,pride is definatly a much need watch,wow the arona slam.wahooooo,talk about a virgina on his face lol.

9. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Hate to sound like a killjoy, but certs dont guarantee a career.
    I would however say that by doing these certs that they give you a bit of an advantage over someone with similar experience and no certs for some roles that will demand you progress and learn constantly, as it shows dedication to learning.

BosonMichael said your best next move would be to start working in IT and I echo that 100%, the CCNA shouldnt be on someone who has never worked on a production networks CV, some may argue that should be a Cisco network as well, but there is nothing to stop you learning the material, although I would recommend the CCENT if this is a path you wish to follow, whilst you build up some experience.

CEH is another interest you could look at, knowing at least some basics about networks would be an advantage before getting into this, so Id go for the CCENT stuff beforehand.

To be honest If I were in your position I would work on giving yourself the best foundation to be a good technician, so MCDST or Windows 7 client certs would be good, also ITIL Foundation would be something unique and valuable to an employer, as good soft skills count just as much as techy skills.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal