N+ at local college?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Nursa, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Nursa

Nursa Bit Poster

My local college are running N+, the course starts September 09 and finishes July 10 and costs £700.

My question is, does this seem like a long amount of time to pass this qualification? The lectures are once a week Tuesday 6pm-9pm.

I don't want to self study because I need a structure to follow and the money isnt really an issue. I might self study the A+ along side the N+ as I have a 2 year BTEC in computing and think I could handle that, as the A+ would be more brushing up on what I learnt at college with extra bits here and there. Is it wise to study 2 certs along side eachother? Or does it get confusing and best to do one at a time?

If I just passed the N+ and had my BTEC on my CV (without A+), do you think that would that be enough to land a entry level networking / support / 1st line job?

Thanks for any replies!

Certifications: BTEC in Computing
    WIP: A+
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You don't need to post this on every forum. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Nursa

Nursa Bit Poster

I haven't posted it on 'every forum' I have posted it on two because I wasn't sure which one I would get the greatest response :)

4. BosonMichael

You only need to post it on one forum... cross-posting is discouraged here. This forum isn't big enough that it's necessary to do so.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  5. Nursa

Nursa Bit Poster

I will refrain from cross posting (and stick to cross dressing)

6. BosonMichael

ahahhahahh!!! Oh, man, that's classic. :) I almost didn't catch it. :D

Please post pics. :p

7. Nursa

Nursa Bit Poster

hahaha! I take it your into that sort of thing then if you want to see pics? Or do you just want a good laugh at me :twisted:

On a serious note tho..... I have just been to college to see about enroling on the N+ course, I told them I had a BTEC etc to which the tutor then went on to tell me that he thinks I should do the CCNA instead because I would find the N+ far to basic and would get bored. I have been reading these forums ALOT recently and realise that the CCNA is mainly aimed at people already working in IT and working with CISCO kit, which i told him! and if I had that cert it would go against me getting my first IT job to which he looked bemused lol. He seemed to that the of the labs in the classes would give me the experience of working with routers etc... He was a complete **** tbf. Any advise on this?

So I'm considering self teaching A+ then N+. How long do you think both of those certs would take to pass taking into consideration I have the BTEC, just say an average amount of time if I work hard at them :twisted:

8. BosonMichael

Not into that sort of thing, but I'm always up for a good laugh! :D

Personally, I'd advise that you turn away from that college and never look back. :) There ARE training centers who will give you good advice... but they're the exception and not the rule.

Everyone's different. Nobody's going to be able to tell you how long you should take. What is an "average time" to you might not be an "average time" for me. All depends on your responsibilities and your ability to soak up info and your prior knowledge and your motivation. People typically take anywhere from 0 days to more than a year.

Plus, nothing good can be gained by this question. If I were to tell you that you should take 3 months, and you aren't ready in 3 months, you'll rush to get it done before you're truly ready. And if I were to tell you that you should take 3 months, but you feel ready in 2 months, you'll end up overstudying.

Know how long it should take? As long as it takes for you to get a complete understanding of the subject matter. No more... no less. :)