N+ and subnetting fuzzyness

Discussion in 'Network+' started by dominoe, Oct 18, 2007.

1. dominoe

dominoe Nibble Poster

Im currently studying my N+ using a combination of mike meyers & groth. I am starting to get into the subnetting areas which is making my brain melt at the moment but kinda sinking in slowly, As Im ok with converting IP address's into binary and the rough concept of subnetting but....
    One of the things that is puzzeling me at the moment is, as I understand it, is one of the rules are you arnt aloud to have is a subnet mask of 255.255.255.255 right? but Ive noticed that my ISP has given me this mask for my static IP this must work ok :) or I wouldnt be posting here, but how dose this relate to the subnetting rules or dose just it just mean I cant create any subnets with that IP and the rules are guides to follow and not set in stone.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MTA
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

It just means that it's a single IP address; it's not used for subnetting networks.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

yeah like if it was 255.255.255.0 you would have 255 free ip address's to use on your sub net.

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

You don't have to know how to subnet to take the Network+ exam. As far as I know, all you really need to know in this area are the three IPv4 network classes (A, B, and C) and they aren't particularly difficult to learn.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. dominoe

dominoe Nibble Poster

thx for the info all

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MTA
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Actually, 254. :) But close enough. ;)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!