N+ and MCDST

Discussion in 'Network+' started by Abs, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Abs

Abs Bit Poster

Hi guys

Im new to the forum, and please forgive bad english in advance. Im doing my A+ at the moment and will be finishing it soon. Im looking at doing the N+ and the mcdst next. I was just wondering does it really matter wich of these I do first, will one of them help me with the other, or are they just so different that none of them will prepare you for the other one?

wich one would you do first? and why?

Thanks guys:D

2. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

The N+ is the next step after the A+, but it depends what sort of IT jobs you are going for the MCDST will help more when you are applying for helpdesk roles I feel.

Certifications: A few.
  3. g.vangemerden

g.vangemerden Bit Poster

Hi Rob

There is practically no overlap in A+, N+ and MCDST. Since it's all entry-level information, you can do them in any order. A+ and Network+ is more into hardware where MCDST is more into software and Windows XP.

Good luck with them

Guido

Certifications: See signature..
    WIP: MCITP:DBA - MCITP:SA - MCIPT:EA
  4. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

Take my advice having just passing mine last month and do Network+ next after completing your A+

There a number of hardware & procedural questions and a larger number networking questions these two certs will help with.

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK
  5. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

I agree with spilly!

N+ is the next step, i started MCDST after A+ but found the job I am in and the private jobs I do all need a solid knowledge in networking and it is a struggle without the N+.

Best luck of luck whatever you decide:biggrin8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

While there is no "correct" order to do the entry exams, I too would recommend doing the Network+ then do the MCDST. This is mainly because I believe that the Network+ does provide alot of the networking basic that other MS exams/courses build upon (this includes the MCDST).

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums Abs, I have to agree with whats already been said. I've done my A+ and now doing my N+, and feel thats the best path to take!

Good luck with it :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  8. Abs

Abs Bit Poster

Thanx for all your answers guys.....I will follow your advice and do the N+ next. Hopefully it wont be as diffucult as it sounds:D

9. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I'm actually doing the MCDST next - mainly because my job is desktop support currently and the MCDST is exactly on the money for what I'm doing. I did originally intend to do the N+ after my A+ but felt it was more beneficial for myself to do it this way around.

I'm probably aiming MCDST, 70-270 (XP Client) and then the N+..... but that could all change :D

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  10. Trigun1

Trigun1 New Member

I don't know if it matters as the topic is pretty much dead now ... but I recommend do N+ first you will find MCDST piss-easy after you've completed N+ ...

11. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I don't actually agree with that. The level of networking in the MCDST is (if anything) below the stuff you would be needed to know for the N+. I think it would be beneficial to do the N+ first, but it would by no means make the MCDST 'piss easy' as you put it. Networking and the protocols used only take up a very small amount when compared with all the other topics of the MCDST.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  12. Lev Arris

Lev Arris Byte Poster

I've gotta back Modey here.

I went the classic A+ followed by N+ followed by MCDST route.

I'd certainly recommend this order to anyone.

I kinda looked at it that with A+ & N+ I was learning the basics about virtually everything. Then the MCDST would introduce me to the microsoft way of doing things.

When I came to study the MCDST there was a lot of smug nodding my head and smiling as I understood the concepts behind what I was doing rather than just reading the text and memorising it for the exam.

I'm now studying for MCSA with the 270 client exam and again I feel like I'm halfway there by knowing the concepts and theories that the previous exams have taught me.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, MCSA (270,290,291)
    WIP: CCNA ..Global Domination
  13. kevy1980

kevy1980 New Member

i'm started with N+ I Have decided not to do the A+ because i want to pursue a career in CISCO

Certifications: N+