MySQL temp file @ 4GB n rising!

Discussion in 'Software' started by garyb, Apr 11, 2008.

1. garyb

garyb Byte Poster

Has anyone any experience with MySQL?:blink

I have been lumbered with a MySQL db [v5] and have no experience with it except for installing & configuring on 2003 server using PHP & IIS6! I was asked to create a demo version of the website & db so did a restore to another directory to be used simply for the customer demo purposes..my problems began which i think may afect the live db at some point and I'm sweating!

I open MySQL administrator, go to catalogues, click on livedb and it "fetches the schema". If I try this on the demodb it hangs forever & I notice the C:\Windows\Temp has a MySQL file which reaches over 4GB then throws out the error below in the event log.

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: MySQL
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 100
    Date: 07/04/2008
    Time: 10:20:38
    User: N/A
    Computer: SERVERNAME
    Description:
    C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.0\bin\mysqld-nt: Incorrect key file for table 'C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\#sql_160_0.MYI'; try to repair it

When I attempt to view schema of the live db everything is fine and this file is not created in the temp directory. I'm worried that if I ever need to do a restore of live this issue will cause me problems? Have googled for days now with no joy, perhaps cause I dont really know what i'm looking for!

Any ideas how I would resolve this issue or better still what causes it?

Yours hopefully

WIP: MCSA 2003
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I've no experience of MySQL on Windows but is there not a command line interface (used to be just 'mysql') that you could try instead?

You mention 'restore' - how was that done? Via MySQL, or just a Windows thing. The reason I ask is that some RDBMSs can't be 'restored' except by the app shipped by that RDBMS. It used to be that you could copy MyISAM files about, don't know if you can with InoDB.

Best way of copying MySQL databases used to be to use the mysqldump utility. You can't use Windows backup tools on a running database.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I also see that there is a bug in MySQL that can cause this:
    Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. garyb

garyb Byte Poster

Thanx Harry,
    I use MySQL Administrator to do all backup/restore functions and it was fine until a couple of weeks back when I tried to "update" the demo copy with a live copy.

I fear I may have to take the plunge and upgrade to latest version but having never done this before I'm not getting excited about the prospect!

Cheers

WIP: MCSA 2003