MySQL: phpMyAdmin

Discussion in 'Web Development & Web Hosting' started by SimonV, Jul 2, 2003.

1. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Anyone heard of the above and got any experience. I'd like to know what it is and what its used for. Thanks.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  2. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

I've never come across it before but from the documentation at http://www.phpmyadmin.net/documentation/ it looks like a GUI front end such as Enterprise Manager for MySQL. Could be useful. Where are you considering using it and on what platform? As a trial I set up webmail for a friends website using Apache, MySQL, PHP and Horde on W2k. He is planning on providing it as a service for his customers. It was all very entertaining for a few nights and as a consequence I have considerably less hair now :D

Phil

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  3. SimonV
    Honorary Member

Thanks Phil, yes it is a gui front end, ive just installed it and got it running ok now but the reason I ask is I need to do an SQL dump (strange name) into an SQL database on the internet. The instructions i have are:

Code:
    If you do not know how to do the below SQL dump, than you will need to download, install & use:
    # MySQL: phpMyAdmin ( [url]http://www.phpmyadmin.net/[/url] )
    # PostgreSQL: PostgreSQL Manager ( [url]http://ems-hitech.com/pgmanager/[/url] )

CREATE TABLE phpbb_referral (
      referral_id mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment,
      ruid mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
      nuid mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
      referral_time varchar(10) NOT NULL default '',
      KEY referraler_id (referral_id)
    ) TYPE=MyISAM;
    INSERT INTO phpbb_referral VALUES (1, 2, 2, '1023594440');

#
    #-----[ SQL ]------------------------------------------
    #
    INSERT INTO `phpbb_config` ( `config_name` , `config_value` ) VALUES ( 'referral_id', '2' );

#
    #-----[ SQL ]------------------------------------------
    #

INSERT INTO `phpbb_config` ( `config_name` , `config_value` ) VALUES ( 'referral_enable', '1' );
    any ideas. this is totally new ground for me.

4. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Hi ~SimonV~

Okay, the code you posted is first creating a phpbb_referral table in your phpbb database with the CREATE TABLE statement. The next statement adds a record into the table you just created, by the looks of it the next two statements add records to the phpbb_config table which reference the table you just created.

from the documentation link I posted it says phpMyAdmin can execute any SQL statement, so if you make sure it is attached to the phpbb database with a user with admin rights then copy the statements you posted here into it, execute the statements and I suppose in theory you should be done.

Sorry if I'm being too vague or noddy here, give me a shout if you think I could be of any more help.

Phil

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
  5. SimonV
    Honorary Member

I can but try. Cheers Phil. I'll keep you posted and let you know what happens. It's on a test database so its not as if the forums gona come crashing down. :oops:

6. SimonV
    Honorary Member

And as if my magic the whole thing crashes.....No, really it worked fine. Thanks Phil. :lol:

7. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Cool, Glad to help :)