MySpace

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Arroryn, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Here's a little chat I've been thinking of for a while.

Do you MySpace? And if you do, why?

I know a lot of people who, when asked this question, respond 'what's the point?'

And the same goes for sites of the same ilk - Facebook, Ringo - I'm sure the list could probably be quite long and boring.

I was lured in to the MySpace thing very recently, and was sceptical as to whether there was any point to it.

Up until I tracked down, and was tracked down by, numerous people I have lost contact with over the years (and probably wouldn't have been able to contact by any other means).

So aside from being able to speak to these people (a few of whom are Stateside, so they're not an easy phone call away), I am also going to my Space as a blog on how my novel is going, and a progress blog as I'm going to start 'getting fit' soon for an as yet unnamed charity event.

So do you? And if you do, why?

And if you don't, what's your opinions of these sites? Are they for people with too much time on their hands? Do they harbour a negative influence on the net?

(I think it was MySpace that recently helped convict some paedophiles who were using the site for *awful* things. If they can keep monitoring like that, it's also good).

So. Discuss away, my pretties :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Never been there. I built my own promotional website so anything I need to say about myself on the web, I can say there.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Dhughes

Dhughes Byte Poster

Hey i used to, many as you said to chat with old friends but now we all have skype so its a lot easier, i used to talk models and girls too getting them to do daft things like posing with posters or doing hand signs for me, why? cos i was bored and off work for a long time with a knacked back and because they just said yes lol, i only go on now and again these days to see if anyone new has found me and said hello, to busy to keep it updated,

I did think though of stating a blog of my studys in a kind of revision format for myself but never got the proper motavation to go though with it lol

www.myspace.com/vinze187

Certifications: A+ Essentails, A+ Technician , MCDST
    WIP: MCSE
  4. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I do have a myspace account somewhere, but don't use it.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  5. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

Joined about a year ago, uploaded about 3 of my tracks. Checked it everyday for about 2 weeks added lots of friends and checked out a few friends and artists, got pissed off with how slow the site is... not botherd much with it since.

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I used to use myspace, but as soon as facebook stopped requiring university addresses I got an account there, bumped into FAR more people i know there, and its a tad more 'mature' sort of site, a bit more well polished and less 'be my friend i have a band' type shite

there was a recent article on BBC about the differences in socio economic trends of the myspace/facebook divide, quite interesting

I've bumped into loads of people I used to work with, went to primary school with, used to play Ultima Online with all those years ago hehe

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I never had a my space account but I currently have a facebook account. I never really get addicted to those things or anything like that, I probably check once every two weeks just to see whats new but I think its a nice way to track or old friends from the past.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  8. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Ive got one, but i dont use it much now.:)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  9. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

you don't have a nickname of kebabking do you? :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

No, never bothered. I'm pretty findable by anyone with a computer and two bits of common sense. 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Had a MySpace account for ages but never check it now. Too juvenille. Can't be arsed with FaceBook either - they're all pretty sad really. The reason I 'lost contact' with my 'old friends' is that they were pretty shite friends - I like my friends and any of the ones I maintain contact with from when I was younger are the only ones that I'd count as 'friends' anyway.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  12. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

Good point, If we are all honest the only reason we all check friends reunited and the like is to find out which of your old schoolfriends are now hopeless crackheads:eek:

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  13. Arroryn

That is the only reason I check Friends Reunited, yeah. It's quite funny to see people that bullied me failing rather miserably.

I was told to go on MySpace by an usher at a recent wedding. The wedding was for my best friend, who I lost contact with mainly because I'd been a crappy friend. I only managed to find her again on the net.

So I did :)

The contact numbers old friends would have had for me, were when I was with an ex I had to leave suddenly. I was never able to provide them with a different contact, and you can bet a pound to a penny my ex wouldn't have given them a forwarding contact. So for me, the internet has been quite an important method of contacting old friends. I completely understand what Zeb says, but in my own case, either it's not true, or I was the crappy friend and am trying to make amends.

Then there's also the cases of fascinating contacts through the net. There's another board I haunt, which I started off administrating (and did so for five years). We started our own site together because of our joy for randomness and Elder Scrolls games. There was one member on there my mum's age, living in Australia. One day, I posted a rant about the boring village I (still) live in, and he sent me a PM. I hadn't named the village in full, and he guessed the rest of the name.

It turns out that, 25 years ago, he lived in the same street as me, and went to school with my mum. We met on a chat board for a computer game with about 30 active members. Now, that's just cool.

I know the internet can be a grossly evil place, but my own love of it comes from the people I can meet and have met. That's why when, treated right, places like MySpace can be pretty cool too.

That all sounded a bit too Jerry Springer. But it's the truth. So bite me ^.^ Peace out, y'all.

14. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I have a bebo and a myspace account. Usually because someone has badgered me into signing up for it. But to be honest I barely use either of them.

As far as the blogging is concerned, I've never seen the point. Who would honestly be interested in the boring monotony that is my life? its not that exciting! I can see the point in blogging if you are part of a team working on something big - you can them blog the progress of the project, and it might be a good way to get feedback on particular aspects of it. But not for normal Joe.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  15. shambles

shambles Guest

I'd join if I could do that...

16. Arroryn

You can.

But they might not talk back. And you might get banned :rolleyes: :biggrin

17. Achilles Last Stand

Achilles Last Stand New Member

I mainly use Myspace for the music, I have found it useful for checking out bands I'm unfamiliar with and also for a good old reminisce... plenty of fan sites where you can listen to trax of the old and obsolete that used to grace my vinyl collection :biggrin

And yes I have added unsigned bands that have approached me to be 'friends', if they feel it helps them to have hundreds it's no skin off my nose.

I have not got to grips with Facebook yet though, I have had a couple of invites from people I know but I can't seem to link up with them somehow :thumbdwn I keep saying I'll look at it tomorrow :biggrin

WIP: Investigating MCDST
  18. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I got into myspace a while back, and to be honest I think its pretty good. Its a good way to keep in touch with friends who went to Uni all over the country and friends who I havent seen for years. Another thing I like about it is that I can upload photos, and let my family know how to view them etc which always comes in handy.

On the bad side, My profile got deleted for some unknown reason a couple of weeks back, and I lost all my contacts etc, which I wasnt pleased about. I've created the profile again, but having lost the contacts, Its a pain in the ass to get them all back! Contacting myspace asking why still hasnt been worth it, no response after about 10 days.

www.myspace.com/nxplosive =)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012