My virtual network is ALIVE

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by greenbrucelee, Mar 7, 2008.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I am using virtual PC to setup up a virtual network, I have setup 2 virtual hard disks the first running a 180 day trial of win2k3 which is downloadable from Microsoft and a 2nd running win xp.

I have those tow talking to each other but have to configure more roles for my server :blink

As I have never used virtualization software before I wasn't sure what to expect. The first thing that suprised me was that it acts exactly like a real installation, you format the virtual hard drive and create a partition then install the OS (I still have the optional components to install).

The next things that suprised me was I had to activate it as you would a real install and I had to install updates, I never expected to be connected to the net through a virtual PC.

I am quite drunk at the moment so I am not proceeding any further untill I am sober.

I am looking forward to adding a couple more OSs and messing about with user permissons and all that stuff :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Virtualisation is just the dogs nic-naks!

This is where you will excel in all of your software based studies, for A+, permissions, accounts, IRQ, COM ports etc and if you totally mess up, not a biggy, its all virtual!

But one thing to note, if you virtual machine connects to your physical machine, dont go running any dangerous files as they may affect your physical machine depending on what you run!

3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

VM labs have helped me a lot with understanding many different concepts. Reading just the book is not always enough for the exam or work environment, at least in a vm you actually get to experience some of the tasks.

Question for you, how do you find your pc behaving with the vm's running? laggy or usable?

My lab is pretty big, I have a DC,wsus,TS,linux,xp and if I run them all together I'll find my host being slow. I will be doing some major upgrade soon so things are going to be alot better.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

What a coincidence! I too set up my virtual network yesterday. VMware server with win2003 server trial and xp trail. I ran dcpromo and joined my client to my new test domain.

Vitalization is the way to go, as stated above you can't beat fiddling around to learn stuff.

Have not noticed any performance lag at all yet but this is on my new pc with gig of ram and core2 duo processor and not much is happening on my virtual network yet.

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  5. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Well all to the world or virtualisation and yes it does make life easier as you can practice and not fear corrupting your operating system etc.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  6. greenbrucelee

I havent had any issues yet. I have 3GB RAM 2.1GHz C2D cpu. Everything seems to rum ok, but I havent done any big task on the virtual machines yet.

7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Guys, perhaps it's obvious, but make sure once your familiar with a virtualisation product, get familiar with the others, then list it on your CV! highlight you used it for training and development, non production use, but there is still a massive lack in Virtualisation skills, and understanding the concepts is a brilliant first step

As mentioned above, its gaining massive ground in production environments, and the lack of skills is already a problem, your 'playing around with virtualisation' may be the difference between getting a job and missing out on it to someone who listed it as a skill

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  8. Colin1

Colin1 Byte Poster

Good shout that mate, I was going to ask wether it would be worth adding it to my CV, once I have done it like. I am going to get a copy of Server 2k3( probably trial) and run a couple of virtual hard disks. I have recently got a copy of Linux ubuntu desktop, I am going to run the server version and play around with that envrionment.

Cheers Phoenix for clariying that bro!

C:biggrin

Certifications: Cisco IT Essentials,
    WIP: IT degree, CIW (Web), A+, N+
  9. greenbrucelee

I was actually going to say is it worth mentioning the fact that I have experience of networking various operating systems through virtualization technology.

Once I have got used to VPC I'll download VMware :D

10. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I've been playing around with VMware for quite some time now. Nothing too crazy just the client side of things, mostly wmware server and workstation.

At work we use ESX server but I can't really touch that yet since I don't have the proper training, hopefully in the future I might be using.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  11. Liqua

Liqua Bit Poster

Nice going greenbrucelee.

Very useful to use virtualised systems when learning about hacking (EC-Certified Ethical Hacker and similar) - Install an unpatched server into the virtual world, take a snapshot, use the techniques to attack the box & when you've finished reload the snapshot. Saves a load of time and gives you valuable experience with hacking a real box in a legal and safe environment.

Liq.

Certifications: CCNA, SND, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: CISSP
  12. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Hey GBL,

Just a little tip for VPC.

Install the Virtual Machine add ons. This enables you to share folders on the host pc with the virtual pc (great for getting apps and files from host to virt) and secondly it allows you to move the mouse cursor between the host and virtual pc without using the Right ALT key. :biggrin

Virtual Machine add ons can be installed from the File menu of the virtual pc.

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  13. greenbrucelee

Will do, cheers for the tip :)