my training route, spoken 2 computeach & nitlc advice plz

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by scousehouse, May 26, 2010.

1. scousehouse

scousehouse Bit Poster

Hi,
    Im am after a career change at 26 y/old.
    I do not have any real IT background. GCSE, once worked in a computer shop upgrading old desktops. Nothing mager.
    I would ultimately like to me MCSE qualified. I quite like networking. I think i will go down the self-study route, can you guys help map a route for me.
    Computeach broke it down like this,

CompTIA A+
    * Essentials 220-701 and A+ Practical Application 220-702 exams

CompTIA A+ Certified Technician

* 70-271 Supporting users and troubleshooting a Microsoft Windows XP operating system , and
    * 70-272 Supporting users and troubleshooting desktop applications on a Microsoft Windows XP operating system

which makes you MCDST qualified?

then for MCSA
    * 70-270 Installing, configuring and administering Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    * 70-290 Managing and maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 environment
    * 70-291 Implementing, managing and maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 network infrastructure
    * 70-299 Implementing and administering security in a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 network

then finially MCSE
    * 70-293 Planning and maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 network infrastructure
    * 70-294 Windows Server 2003 Active Directory Infrastructure
    * 70-298 Designing security for a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 network

does that look about right,the above to cover seven exams for mcse?

To earn the MCSE on Windows Server 2003 certification, you must pass seven exams (in any order):

* Four exams on networking systems
    * One exam on client operating systems
    * One exam on design
    * One elective exam

would it be worth taking the comptia +security for instance as it counts as the elective exam?
    as you can see im quite confused, computeach quoted me £1679 for 12 months study.500+ hrs for the comptia and 200-500hrs for the MCPs.

any advice is truely welcomed

WIP: n+,mcdst
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

A couple of things you wont have been told. The MCSA and MCSE are certs for people who already work in IT. The MCSA is for network administartors who have atleast 6 month experience as a network admin. The MCSE is for systems engineers who have atleast 12 months experience as a systems engineer.

Beginner certs are A+,Network+ and MCDST and you can do the MCDST upgrades in vista and windows 7.

Think very carefully before you sign anything and think about self study too, all of my certs have been trhough self study and I have saved myself alot of money by not going with a training provider.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Oh oh, here we go again...

:rolleyes:

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. scousehouse

scousehouse Bit Poster

i have read a few previous posts about training providers. i will deffo go down the self study route i would just like to know some options.
    CompTIA A+
    * Essentials 220-701 and A+ Practical Application 220-702 exams

CompTIA A+ Certified Technician
    * 70-271 Supporting users and troubleshooting a Microsoft Windows XP operating system , and
    * 70-272 Supporting users and troubleshooting desktop applications on a Microsoft Windows XP operating system

which makes you MCDST qualified? am i missing something vital to become MCDST qual?
    2 quote greenbrucelee: "Beginner certs are A+,Network+ and MCDST and you can do the MCDST upgrades n vista and windows 7."
    would that do to get me going and into a juniour position whilst i earn & learn enough to allow me to do a MCSE?

5. greenbrucelee

I haven't said or dissed anyone.

6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Didn't mean you mate, I meant the subject.

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  7. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

I have to admit. It's getting a bit old.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  8. greenbrucelee

I supposed but every needs a starting point although they could use the search feature.

9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

As above... 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Sorry everyone - I'm really evil, aren't I?

:oops:

11. scousehouse

scousehouse Bit Poster

haha.
    sorry to start another thread on what seems like a hot subject. I just wanted some personal advice on certs. im glad i did because those training companies did not tell me i shouldn't study for a MCSE without 2 years experience.

a+, network+, mcdst >>> would that be a good grounding for an eventual mcse or would you guys recommend another route?

12. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Thanks for understanding.
    If you search recent threads, you'll see that even we can't agree on what to do and when.
    I guess the only real trick is to go with what you know. Have a look at the published requirements for exams and ask yourself 'do I know this, or can I learn it with the resources that I have'.
    If you can't, save it for a later day.

But whatever you do, don't let a fat guy in a suit who knows f**k all about IT to tell you what to study.

Good luck.

13. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Start with A+ and Network+ or MCDST and then move onto something like an MCSA. Don't rush into doing a MCSE as it's a lot to take on without experience. If your serious about getting into IT the best advice is set yourself up a test lab to mess around with.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  14. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

No... that would be a good grounding to get you an entry-level IT job. The entry-level IT job gives you a good grounding for an eventual server admin job. Real-world experience doing server administration gives you a good grounding to get the MCSA and MCSE certifications.

One step at a time, Scousehouse... one step at a time. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  15. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

So it's only fat people that give bad advice about IT career choices eh? You heard it here first people!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  16. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Just making an educated assumption...

17. moondas

moondas Bit Poster

I think good idea is to do A+, MCDST and then start looking for work in IT (won't be easy). Buy some books (Mike Meyers for A+), check online materials - that should be enough to pass these exams. Forget about MCSA and MCSE for now, as this is complicated stuff for people who work with servers and networks for some time. You can think about MCSA when you get to a position of network administrator. Concentrate on entry level certs that you can do through self study. Good luck.

Certifications: MCITP, MCTS, A+
    WIP: hmm...
  18. AdamskiMK

AdamskiMK New Member

Can anyone who has done the same course with NITLC and completed the course in full give me some feedback as how it all went and how easy it was for you to find a job within industry?

19. Gcaddy

Gcaddy New Member

MAYBE A BIT LATE BUT A POST I PUT ON A DIFFERENT THREAD REF NITLC MAY HELP

Im probably about 16 months late on this post but feel i have something to add ref the NITLC.

Firstly the last paragraph of Kate Lilleys (from the NITLC) last post simply isnt true. I was sold (or mis sold in my opinion) a course around 3 years ago with the NITLC (£5000 for a package to take me to what was MCSE level at the time). Apart from owning a PC and a Laptop I had no other skills or experience at that time but was looking for a career change. I was told it would help to be in the IT industry but not essential to pass the whole course as the (so calledd support) should get me through the course.

For the first part the course was great. The A+ and Network+ course was helpfull allthough possibly not required as the exams were relativley straight foward.

That however is where the possitives end. Due to the economic climate it wasnt possible to get a job in the IT industry. I have a degree and lots of customer services experience but there were limited oportunities. Therefore i had to complete the course with the Books they sent and very little else. I was offered to be able to go in for 1-2-1 support and use there transcender exams which I took up on one occasion. This turned out to be a waste of petrol money as the 1-2-1 support (Suplied by Reese for reference) was no more than asking me where I though I needed help and bring me more things to read. Ive been reading stuff for months it really didnt help.

I continued on my own with no contact with the NITLC apart from limited reply's to my emails passing a few exams and failing a few.

I eventually due to the imenent arival of my 2nd child decided I needed to give up the course but thought rather than lose the money id spent asked the NITLC to use my Exam vouchers to retake the Exams id failed and asked for the remaining books from the course to be send to me.

This apparently was to much to ask for. I have essentially been told I will have to extend my course (at extra cost i would imagine) if I want and will have to pay to retake the exams ive failed. This means throwing good money after bad so ive decided I have no option than to walk away.

David Greenwood, student support at the NITLC will not even reply to my emails to discuss this, as ive shown no interest in suplying them with more money they are simply not interested.

In Summary to get where I am now I could of spent a few £100 on books nad a few £100 on exams and got to where I am for less than £1500. Using the NITLC ive spent £5000 o get the the same place although to be fair they provided a pointless and very basic course.

My advice dont be fooled by their sales people, self study will be equally as easy for most people, dont wast your money, I wish I had researched this (and im sure other simily as bad TP's) and saved a lot of money.

Good luck all on your certifications

Ps If anyone from the NITLC is reading this and want to reply great, David Greenwood will know who I am, he has a number of unreplied messages in his inbox but for clarity my name is Gareth Cadwallader.